sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Tiger Woods Rejected Deal Worth Nearly $1 Billion To Join Saudi Backed Golf Tour
Home>Golf
Published 11:14 7 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Tiger Woods Rejected Deal Worth Nearly $1 Billion To Join Saudi Backed Golf Tour

Saudi are ready to put huge money into golf

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Tiger Woods has rejected a deal worth nearly $1 billion to join the Saudi golf revolution, according to Greg Norman, who is the face of Saudi golf. 

This comes after the news that Phil Mickelson will end his four month hiatus at the inaugural Saudi backed LIV series at St Albans on Thursday. 

Mickelson has been away from golf for a while since his damaging interviews in January but has been tempted back in by a mega £100 million signing on fee for the LIV series. 

The six time major champion Mickelson has previously accused the PGA tout of ‘obnoxious greed’ and acting like a ‘dictatorship’. This did not go down well and his image took a massive hit, and as a result he decided to take a break from the sport. 

BREAKING 🚨: Phil Mickelson to play in the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series tournament at Centurion Club this week.pic.twitter.com/0AXobSqgQ3

— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) June 6, 2022

Norman has now revealed that golf legend Woods has rejected the chance to join the Saudi backed golf revolution.

Advert

He told the Washington Post: “Woods turned down a deal that was mind-blowingly enormous; we're talking about high nine digits.” 

He also accused other golfers such as Rory McIlory of being ‘brainwashed’ against the rebel circuit and called Jack Nicklaus a ‘hypocrite’ for siding with the PGA tour. 

Norman said that executives and agents were 'conspiring against LIV to protect an antiquated system that prevents golfers from realising their own power and worth.'

Woods has given his support to the PGA, as recently as in May. 

🚨#UPDATE: Tiger Woods rejected a “mind blowingly enormous” offer to join LIV GOLF. The deal was in “the high 9 digits” according to Greg Norman, in a new exclusive with The Washington Post. (Via @GolfDigest)

— TWLEGION (@TWlegion) June 6, 2022

He said: “You know, [Phil Mickelson] has his opinion on where he sees the game of golf going. I have my viewpoint on how I see the game of golf, and I've supported the tour and my foundation has run events on the tour for a number of years.”

“I've been playing out here for a couple of years over decades, and I think there's a legacy to it. I still think that the tour has so much to offer, so much opportunity. … I understand different viewpoints, but I believe in legacies; I believe in major championships; I believe in big events, comparisons to historical figures of the past. There's plenty of money out here.” 

He added: “The tour is growing. But it's just like any other sport. It's like tennis. You have to go out there and earn it. You've got to go out there and play for it. We have opportunity to go ahead and do it. It's just not guaranteed up front.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Golf, Tiger Woods

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 days ago
5 days ago
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    I don't know what to do right now..' - Bryson DeChambeau discusses future as LIV Golf consider bankruptcy

    Having earned over $60million in the three years since joining LIV Golf, the American star is left with expensive egg on his face

    Golf
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    LIV Golf 'preparing for bankruptcy' as emergency plans revealed ahead of season end

    The rumours regarding the future of the league are getting even worse.

    Golf
  • Getty Images
    5 days ago

    Why PGA Championship winner Aaron Rai wears two gloves and uses iron covers

    The English golfer made history at Aronimink Golf Club, but his unconventional style choices raised some questions.

    Golf
  • Getty Images
    5 days ago

    Aaron Rai prize money: How much the Englishman made from shock PGA Championship win

    The 31-year-old became only the eighth Englishman since 1940 to win a major with his victory.

    Golf
  • PGA Tour star reveals what Tiger Woods' golf prodigy son is like behind the scenes
  • Tiger Woods confirms unexpected golf return ahead of The Masters
  • Teen Prodigy Tipped as 'Next Tiger Woods' Quit Golf After 'Gut-Wrenching' Event
  • Tiger Woods begged golf authorities to ban what he's 'never been a fan of'