Cristiano Ronaldo had a remarkable bicycle kick goal wrongly disallowed that would have gone down as one of his best efforts in his career.
Ronaldo produced a moment of magic for Portugal against Azerbaijan in a UEFA Euro qualification match back in 2006.
A lovely team move saw Miguel whip a ball into the box that Deco controlled impeccably.
The Brazilian-born maestro performed a delicate pass with his shoulder, with Ronaldo poking the ball into the air before acrobatically striking it in mid-air.
The Portuguese forward made a sweet connection with the ball which hit the underside of the crossbar, then bounced over the goal-line before bouncing back out.
Ronaldo pleaded with the match officials but to no avail - with the goal unfortunately ruled out.
What a goal it would have been. You're looking at one of his greatest goals had it stood.
Ronaldo's disallowed effort got fans reminiscing.
Cristiano Ronaldo easily has the best catalogue of wrongly disallowed goals :cry: pic.twitter.com/H2eOoYMPtN
- Ok pal :tm: :flag_gn: #OleACL (@okpaIV15) November 17, 2021
One tweeted: "One of the cleanest bicycles."
A second wrote: "This was actually one of the best goals in the history of football, shame it was disallowed!"
A third added: "EVERYTHING was perfect about that play except the call by the referee."
Ronaldo being Ronaldo, still scored two goals against Azerbaijan in a 3-0 win.
- 'Hair of God' starts trending on Twitter after Cristiano Ronaldo's 'desperate' goal claim
- Portuguese Federation will present evidence to FIFA proving 'Hair of God' goal was Cristiano Ronaldo's
- Unseen footage of Cristiano Ronaldo's immediate reaction to Bruno Fernandes being awarded Portugal's opener
- Cristiano Ronaldo nearly produced one of the greatest assists in World Cup history against Uruguay