Cristiano Ronaldo was almost denied access to Portugal's European Championship opener against Hungary by an eager security guard.
Ronaldo played a starring role in his side's 3-0 Euro 2020 clash as he scored a brace, breaking yet another record.
But he nearly didn't get in to the Puskas Arena in Budapest.
A video has surfaced online showing Ronaldo being quizzed by a security officer who asks to check the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's ID.
As the 36-year-old made his way past the media scrum, he was stopped by a member of the Portugal team.
The guard then takes a look at Ronaldo's badge before allowing him inside the ground in hilarious footage.
"Excuse me, mate - are you allowed to be here?" :eyes:
Thankfully @Cristiano got the green light... eventually :sweat_smile:#POR ' #ITVFootball ' #Euro2020 pic.twitter.com/ziwaLmpDbp
- ITV Football (@itvfootball) June 15, 2021
The moment with the security guard clearly didn't faze Ronaldo who inspired his team to victory.
Portugal left it late as they netted three times in the dying stages of the match.
Ronaldo's former Manchester United teammate Gary Neville showered him with praise following his achievement.
Speaking on ITV, he said: "It's an obscene record. 106 goals for his country is absolutely ridiculous.
"He continues to beat individual record after individual record. He wants to be the best player in the world and seen as one of the greatest of all-time in terms of scoring more goals than anyone and he'll go and do it."
The Euro 2016 champions resume their campaign on Saturday when they face Germany who lost their opening fixture in Group F against France.
Featured Image Credit: UEFA
- Cristiano Ronaldo laughs uncontrollably over his drawing of Portugal teammate Pepe
- Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo branded as a 'cheat' after winning penalty against Ghana at the World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo addresses controversial interview for the first time, demands media stop asking Portugal players about it
- Theory conjured on why Cristiano Ronaldo KNEW Portugal goal against Uruguay wasn’t his, fans are agreeing with it