Man City have already proven why Liverpool's £35m transfer plan is doomed
| Last updated
Liverpool are reportedly interested in signing Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips this summer - but Pep Guardiola's side have already shown them why any transfer plan looks to be doomed.
Phillips has barely featured for City this season, having missed the early part of the campaign through injury.
The 26-year-old, who joined City from Leeds last summer, is still yet to start a Premier League game for his new club, but has been used often in domestic cup matches.
But the Daily Star claim that Liverpool are keen to offer the midfielder an opportunity to get back to the level that saw him rated as one of England's top midfielders whilst at Leeds. They are said to be preparing a £35 million bid.
Having graduated from the club's youth academy, it was the management of Marcelo Bielsa that helped unlock Phillips' potential, with the tough-tackling and hard-working midfielder playing a key role in their promotion from the Championship and their ninth-placed finish in the Premier League campaign that followed.
However, City's previous transfer experiences suggest a move may not be possible.
Phillips to Liverpool?
City boss Guardiola sanctioned the sales of Oleksandr Zinchenko and Gabriel Jesus to Arsenal last summer - and the moves have certainly paid off for the Gunners.
Both players have played significant roles in the club's title challenges, with a crunch showdown between the two sides taking place at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday evening.
And the two transfers have once again come under the microscope ahead of the fixture, having been seen as strengthening a rival - perhaps at the expense of City.
And whilst Liverpool are not Premier League title challengers this season, they have been regular contenders against City both domestically and in Europe.
If the Reds can make the required additions to their squad this summer, Jurgen Klopp's side will no doubt see themselves as potential title candidates again next season.
City may, therefore, see the sale of Phillips to a rival as a move that simply cannot go through, even though he isn't playing a significant part for the club.
Speaking in February about Zinchenko and Jesus, Guardiola said that all three parties - buying club, selling club and players - have to agree to any transfer going through.
He said (quotes via talkSPORT): "The club took the decisions what they believe they had to take.
"When these kind of transfers happen it's because the three parties agree, it's not just about one part."
But Football Insider claimed earlier this month that City would reject any Arsenal offers for their first team players - and they could be about to do the same to Liverpool.
The latest direct transfer between the two clubs came in 2015, when Raheem Sterling moved to City from the Reds for £49 million.
Prior to that, you have to go back to 1996 to find the next transfer, with Nigel Clough moving in the same direction to sign for City for a fee of £1.5 million.