sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Southampton players could take action against own club after being expelled from play-offs
Home>Football>Football News
Published 11:00 20 May 2026 GMT+1

Southampton players could take action against own club after being expelled from play-offs

There could be further repercussions for Southampton after they were expelled from the Championship play-offs following the spygate scandal.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Things could go from bad to worse for Southampton after it emerged their players are exploring their legal options after the Saints were expelled from the Championship play-offs following the spygate scandal.

On Tuesday evening, it was announced that the South Coast outfit had been kicked out of Saturday's scheduled final with Hull City at Wembley following alleged spying by a Southampton staff member before the play-off semi-final first leg against Middlesbrough.

After an independent commission heard the EFL’s case following an investigation being opened, the verdict was communicated - with Boro were reinstated to the final after their protests and Southampton hit with a four-point deduction into next season's Championship campaign.

Southampton, who admitted breaches regarding games against Oxford United, Ipswich and Middlesbrough, have appealed against both punishments.

Advert

The final outcome is expected to be announced on Wednesday to give enough time for preparations for Saturday's showpiece.

But in a new development, The Athletic are reporting that Southampton's players are exploring their options in the event that the punishment remains.

Southampton players are said to be considering legal action if the verdict is upheld. Image: Getty
Southampton players are said to be considering legal action if the verdict is upheld. Image: Getty

The report claims the players were only given the basic details about the spygate storm and were left "furious" after the verdict was released.

They only found out at the same time as the rest of the world and had not been given any type of heads up.

It's claimed that some members of the squad from the side which was relegated in 2024/25, had an arrangement whereby the agreed 40 per cent pay cuts would be waived if they secured immediate promotion back to the Premier League.

The players are poised to meet with the club on Wednesday and they have reportedly reached out to the PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association) for advice, with potential loss of earnings.

Moreover, a separate report from Alex Crook of talkSPORT claims that Saints boss Tonda Eckert could be given the boot as a result of the major controversy.

The report states that the full report will reveal Eckert's full involvement in the spying, where Saints analyst William Salt allegedly watched Middlesbrough’s training session in the build-up to the 0-0 draw in the play-off semi-final first leg.

It's said that along with sporting director Johannes Spors, Eckert could be investigated and suspended by the Football Association for the spying, which is common in his native Germany.

His job is also at risk, with fears that the events could affect potential sponsorship deals going forward after an admission of cheating.

As per talkSPORT, an email from chief executive Phil Parsons to club staff on Tuesday said that the club's legal team 'remain confident' of a successful appeal and are fighting the sanctions 'robustly".

The club are preparing for the final as normal, but so too are Middlesbrough - who said they "welcome" the verdict and "believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct".

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Southampton, EFL Championship, Premier League

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Mikel Arteta picks first Arsenal signing after winning the Premier League

    The champions are moving quickly to retain a title they won just hours ago

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Southampton take drastic action on Tonda Eckert after spygate scandal

    Southampton were expelled from the Championship play-off final

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Gabriel Magalhaes takes aim at viral Man City fan after winning Premier League

    Gabriel Magalhaes couldn't help but react on Instagram after becoming a Premier League champion on Tuesday night.

    Football
  • Getty & Instagram/@bukayosaka87
    3 hours ago

    Bukayo Saka sends message directly to Arsenal rivals after winning Premier League

    Bukayo Saka addressed those who laughed at Arsenal after finally becoming a Premier League winner.

    Football
  • Southampton take drastic action on Tonda Eckert after spygate scandal
  • Southampton EXPELLED from Championship play-offs as Middlesbrough reinstated
  • Middlesbrough call for Southampton to be expelled from Championship play-off final in brutal statement
  • EFL launch probe after 'furious' Middlesbrough accuse Southampton of spying before play-off clash