sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool fans left baffled by IFAB law which ‘contradicts’ Alexis Mac Allister handball decision
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Updated 20:45 9 Nov 2023 GMTPublished 20:34 9 Nov 2023 GMT

Liverpool fans left baffled by IFAB law which ‘contradicts’ Alexis Mac Allister handball decision

Liverpool had a stoppage time equaliser against Toulouse ruled after Alexis Mac Allister was deemed to have handled the ball.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool fans have been left baffled by the handball ruling after their last-gasp equaliser was ruled out in the 3-2 defeat to Toulouse.

After a poor performance in France saw them 3-1 down, the Reds had the ball in net twice late on through Diogo Jota and Jarell Quansah.

The 20-year-old thought he had scored an equaliser in the seventh minute of stoppage time.

Advert

However, in a bizarre turn of events, the referee appeared to signal for the goal before going over to the VAR screen and disallowing the strike for handball against Alexis Mac Allister.

Toulouse players had appealed at the time and the ball did bounce up off his chest and onto his arm in the build-up.

But Liverpool supporters feel confused as according to Sky Sports, the decision may have been incorrect as IFAB laws state that an "accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence".

There were plenty of further touches in the phase of play before Quansah slotted home.

Furthermore, in an article on UEFA's website, the governing body's board issued guidelines for the 2023/24 campaign and said that "no handball offence should be called on a player if the ball is previously deflected from his own body and, in particular, when the ball does not go towards the goal".

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

But Dale Johnson of ESPN has caused further perplexity as he claims that UEFA's stance on handball is different.

Although he states that it was a "terrible VAR decision", Johnson says that in UEFA competitions goals are chalked off for "any handball in attack phase".

Liverpool suffered a first defeat in the Europa League this season following the goal being disallowed and Jurgen Klopp vented at the referee after the full-time whistle.

The Reds will look to bounce back on Sunday when they host Brentford at Anfield.

Featured Image Credit: TNT Sports

Topics: Liverpool, Europa League, Jurgen Klopp, Alexis Mac Allister

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    15 mins ago

    Jurgen Klopp receives shock proposal to return to management

    Jurgen Klopp has received a shock proposal to make a dramatic return to football management at the helm of an ambitious club.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Man City decide on first two signings under Enzo Maresca as private talks held

    Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Controversial VAR call denies Liverpool denied dramatic 97th minute comeback vs Toulouse
  • Liverpool fans don't want player to play for them again after display vs Toulouse
  • "He's in a great headspace" -Jurgen Klopp speaks on Luis Diaz hours after player's father rescued from kidnappers
  • Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp 'broke' Premier League rule to fulfil promise to Harvey Elliott