sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Only one Premier League 'big six' club has not rejected the European Super League and fans have noticed
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Updated 10:24 22 Dec 2023 GMTPublished 10:22 22 Dec 2023 GMT

Only one Premier League 'big six' club has not rejected the European Super League and fans have noticed

Only one 'big six' club has not rejected the plans.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Only one of the Premier League’s ‘big six’ has not publicly rejected new plans for a European Super League (ESL).

The ESL was first launched 32 months ago and received widespread opposition from fans, the then UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Football Association president Prince William. Plans were subsequently dumped as nine of the ESL’s 12 founding members pulled out amid public scrutiny.

However, this week a ruling from the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in Luxembourg stated world and European governing bodies FIFA and UEFA had "abused a dominant position" by threatening the ESL clubs and players with sanctions and exclusion from major competitions.

The ECJ added that rules that demand prior approval for "interclub football projects" were "unlawful" and that their exclusive control in negotiating commercial rights for competitions was restriction of trade.

Advert

Within hours, A22’s new ESL proposal had been released, promising sixty-four men's teams split across three divisions and 32 women's teams split across two.

Manchester United were the first Premier League club to reject proposals for a new ESL, stating: "Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in Uefa competitions, and to positive cooperation with Uefa, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game."

Later in the day, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea all released similar messages within 15 minutes of one another, while Arsenal added their name to the list of clubs standing against the ESL on Friday.

In turn, Liverpool are the only club from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ to have not publicly rejected the new plans.

While fans on social media have noted that the Reds’ are yet to have rejected A22’s plans, Fenway Sports Groups’ Tom Werner told the Athletic a year ago that a ESL was "certainly off of Liverpool's agenda".

Furthermore, in the wake of the backlash over the 2021 proposal, the Liverpool owners had "acknowledged it was a mistake".

The Athletic claim FSG’s position remains unchanged.

Featured Image Credit: Getty/A22

Topics: Football, Premier League, Liverpool, European Super League

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    7 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Arsenal player 'open to leaving the club' after winning Premier League title
  • Darwin Nunez contract 'terminated' amid links to two Premier League clubs
  • European club 'refuse' to meet asking price for £34 million Arsenal star who hasn't played for the club for 755 days
  • Former MLS star slams Arne Slot’s role in Premier League victory after Mo Salah post