UEFA Admit Euro 2020 Could Be Cancelled Due To Coronavirus Outbreak
UEFA have admitted they are currently at a 'waiting stage' as to whether Euro 2020 will go ahead following the coronavirus outbreak.
The tournament is due to kick-off in in Italy, one countries worst affected by the virus, in June.
But UEFA understand that the virus is currently spreading on a global scale and that 'football must follow the orders of the individual countries'.
UEFA vice-president Michele Uva told broadcaster RAI per Daily Mail: "We are at the waiting stage.
"We are monitoring country by country, and football must follow the orders of the individual countries.
"The sporting path will only be closed if the situation gets worse."
Euro 2020 is currently set to take place across multiple countries between June 12 and July 12.
Italian football has been hit hardest by the virus outbreak with multiple Serie matches being postponed last weekend due to safety fears.
Inter Milan played their Europa League tie against Ludogorets on Thursday night behind closed doors.
Five more games in Italy's top league will be behind closed doors this weekend, including Sunday's top of the table clash between Juventus and Inter.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Inter manager Antonio Conte expressed his frustration at the decision but understands the cautionary measures.
"Soccer needs the crowd, to hear the atmosphere around it. That's the best thing about the game, the atmosphere around the soccer being played," he said per Sky Sports.
"These decisions have been taken with public health in mind but I hope that everything returns to normal as soon as possible."
Italy is the worst hit country in Europe so far, with with 17 deaths from the virus confirmed as well as 650 infections.
Other sporting events such as the Six Nations have also been impacted, while the summers Olympic Games in Toyko have been plunged into doubt.
Meanwhile, all domestic fixtures have been postponed by the Chinese FA until further notice following the scale of the outbreak.
The outbreak could also spell disaster for Liverpool's hope of being named Premier League champions.
Despite their 22 point lead at the top, The Telegraph have reported Jurgen Klopp's side would not 'be guaranteed' to win the title if the season ended early because of the outbreak.
The report also states there is 'no specific regulation' should the situation occur and it means all three teams in the relegation zone could be safe.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read