Timo Werner thought he'd opened the scoring for Chelsea vs Liverpool - but VAR ruled it offside by the tightest of margins.
Werner latched on to a long ball from Jorginho and an onrushing Allison completely mistimed his challenge.
It allowed the German forward to burst into the box and calmly tap the ball home from close range.
But a VAR review showed Werner's arm was just offside thanks to Andy Robertson at left-back.
NO GOAL :x:
Timo Werner is ruled offside by the smallest of margins...
:tv: Watch on Sky Sports PL
:iphone: Follow #LIVCHE here: https://t.co/DH3Q3Ugh4H
:calling: Download the @SkySports app! pic.twitter.com/dOgLRAwu9W
- Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) March 4, 2021
It was an incredibly close call and while it was technically the correct one, many fans have voiced their displeasure at the current offside rule.
Many watching at home believe these kinds of calls are 'ruining' the Premier League season.
Rules are an absolute joke the games slowly getting ruined what a joke of a decision
- Jay :flag_ie: (@JayeUtdd) March 4, 2021
Werner. Offside for showing intent in his body language. The game is gone.
- Duncan Wright (@dwright75) March 4, 2021
Chelsea have a goal ruled out because Timo Werner's fingernail was offside...
These decisions are actually getting worse and worse every week now. :joy:
- Ryan. :red_circle: (@Vintage_Utd) March 4, 2021
Disgraceful decision from VAR, how are you going to give this for offside?
Plus you can't score with your arm pic.twitter.com/x6QjBwZoER
- Jake:black_small_square: (@18jc2__) March 4, 2021
It's not offside. No one really wants those to be offside. It's a joke
- The Tactical Times (@Tactical_Times) March 4, 2021
So let me get this straight. If Werner was in his own penalty area and the ball touched him where that VAR line was drawn it's going to be a handball penalty call. But for the purposes of drawing an offside line they use that part of his arm like it's legal to score with. Cool.
- Louis (@SpeedOfLouis) March 4, 2021
That was genuinely the most onside offside I've ever seen :joy:
- Ste Hoare (@stehoare) March 4, 2021
Everything that's wrong with this garbage video system in a nutshell. Werner has both feet behind Robertson but because he is leaning forward on his way to score his sleeve is given offside. Such a load of crap. At worst he's level. Wrong in every respect. Penalised for momentum. pic.twitter.com/f1LDEeDJsr- The Tuesday Club (@NOTYOUBENTLEY) March 4, 2021
Chelsea did manage to take the lead moments before half-time, thanks to Mason Mount's lovely solo effort.
Liverpool's best chance of the game came via Sadio Mane, who found himself through against Edouard Mendy.
However, he scuffed his shot and failed to trouble his fellow Senegal international.
Do you think Timo Werner deserved to be ruled offside?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports
- "The reality is..." - Liverpool manager Klopp linked with Chelsea job by former Reds striker
- This is how the Premier League table would look without VAR
- Liverpool plot stunning move for Premier League star described as "unbelievable" by Klopp
- Chelsea flop Timo Werner set to rejoin RB Leipzig on permanent deal