Monaco's Cesc Fabregas has been sent off after a controversial VAR ruling changed his yellow card to a red in his sides Ligue 1 game against Lyon.
Lyon forward Leo Dubois saw himself one on one with Benjamin Lecomte but Fabregas gave the Frenchman's shirt a tug leading to a foul.
Footage also shows his boot digging straight into the back of the attackers leg.
The former Chelsea midfielder found himself booked for the offence, but a Video Assistant Referee ruling saw the 32-year-old's yellow changed to a straight red.
Check it out below.
Wow... Controversy in Monaco :eyes:
Cesc Fabregas was sent off less than 30 minutes into the new season after VAR turned a yellow card into a red.
Was that intentional? pic.twitter.com/PgaH2yb9RO
- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) August 9, 2019
Leonardo Jardim's side were already 1-0 down and a second with less than 30 minutes on the clock could have ended Monaco's chances of getting anything from the game.
The tackle although cynical in nature did not seem malicious and Twitter has had its say.
You didn't deserve that VAR at its worst, that wasnt even a yellow, no intent, the player had his head up.
- Mike Willcocks (@mewpro) August 9, 2019
That definitely wasn't a red card...
- Martin Kabelka (@martin_kabelka) August 9, 2019
Not a red card
- Sarah Jane McCrory (@JaneCrory) August 9, 2019
Deliberate. A typical terrible professional foul.
- Paul Cochrane Esq, C.B.A. (@mrdissent) August 9, 2019
Going a man down didn't help Monaco as Memphis Depay netted a second in the 36th minute to give Lyon a 2-0 lead going into half time.
You have to wonder how the game would be shaping up if the Spaniard didn't find himself walking down the tunnel so early.
A controversial opening to the Ligue 1 season.
Do you think it was a red card? Let us know in the comments below.
- Cesc Fabregas Would Like To See Players He Helped Develop At Monaco End Up At Liverpool Or Bayern
- Cesc Fabregas Makes U-Turn On Ballon d'Or Winner After Champions League Final
- Cesc Fabregas Was Doing Cesc Fabregas Things On His AS Monaco Debut
- Monaco Player Filmed Kicking The VAR Monitor After Receiving Red Card