sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Donald Trump's Latest World Cup Threat Raises Major Concern
Home>Football
Published 22:55 6 Nov 2025 GMT

Donald Trump's Latest World Cup Threat Raises Major Concern

Trump's latest threats have started to cause issues ahead of the World Cup.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Donald Trump's latest threat surrounding the 2026 World Cup, which will be co-hosted by the United States, has reportedly prompted major concern.

The US president is set to be present at the draw for the tournament, which will take place on December 5 in the nation's capital of Washington D.C.

Trump has been vocal in the months leading up to the World Cup, and has made several sensational claims.

He told reporters last month that he could threaten to move games away from certain locations if they were 'unsafe' and 'doing a bad job'.

Advert

The four host locations that Trump has named as potentially being at threat - Seattle, Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco - are all part of states that the Democratic Party won in the 2024 US presidential election.

Trump does not have the power to move games himself, though could theoretically put pressure on the parties involved to withdraw from the deal or contact FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

FIFA stated last month that 'safety and security are obviously the government's responsibility and they decide what is in the best interest for public safety'.

🚨 BREAKING: President Trump says he could change the location of FIFA World Cup games OR the Olympics away from blue cities if it's too unsafe

"We'd do that. Gavin Newsom - he's got to get his act together! [...] If he doesn't play ball, we're gonna have to be very tough on… pic.twitter.com/gVBznH9DYS

— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) October 14, 2025

Now, according to The Athletic, some host cities have developed concerns over their ability to attract local sponsorships for the World Cup amid Trump's comments.

Host cities can collect revenue from 'fan festivals in non-competing categories', the report adds, which is separate from the stadium sponsors that FIFA use for each match.

Bob Lynch, an ex-partnerships executive at the Brooklyn Nets and Miami Dolphins, told the outlet that Trump's threats had the potential to 'slow down the decision-making process of brands at the [sponsorship] table', adding: "They may say, 'We need to watch and see'. That's a real thing. That does slow down probably conversion on sponsorship deals."

FIFA create new prize ahead of World Cup draw

As part of the draw proceedings, FIFA will also award the inaugural 'FIFA Peace Prize' to an unnamed recipient in the US capital.

The prize was unveiled by Infantino on Thursday.

Gianni Infantino's face adorns the big screen at the American Business Forum (Image: Getty)
Gianni Infantino's face adorns the big screen at the American Business Forum (Image: Getty)

The FIFA president stated that it is 'fundamental to recognise the outstanding contribution of those who work hard to end conflicts and bring people together in a spirit of peace'.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the announcement hasn't gone down particularly well with football fans.

There has been speculation over whether Trump - who has never been directly involved with FIFA or football before becoming president - will be the recipient, and Infantino didn't exactly dispel that speculation when asked at the American Business Forum in Miami.

The Italian simply replied (via BBC Sport): "You will see."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Donald Trump, FIFA World Cup, Football, Gianni Infantino, United States

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    'Such a massive club...' - Player publicly confirms interest in signing for Man Utd this summer

    United are heavily linked with two midfielders but a third transfer target has spoken out.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Six players who could play their final Man Utd game vs Brighton

    Man Utd take on Brighton in their final match of the 2025/26 Premier League season.

    Football
  • MouradDiop92 X
    5 hours ago

    Two PSG players 'refuse to shake hands' during inter-squad friendly before Champions League final

    Paris Saint-Germain's preparation for the Champions League final against Arsenal turned up an unusual flashpoint

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Harry Kane linked with stunning summer transfer that would make team unbeatable

    England captain Kane is attracting lusty looks from overseas after another prolific season with Bayern Munich

    Football
  • Donald Trump Makes Major World Cup Threat Minutes After England Qualify
  • FIFA Issue Statement After Donald Trump Makes Major World Cup Threat
  • FIFA Make Controversial World Cup Agreement With Donald Trump
  • Donald Trump's instant response after hearing how much World Cup tickets cost