sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Chelsea Receive Huge Backlash Over Statement About 'Ukraine Conflict'
Home>Football
Published 11:55 27 Feb 2022 GMT

Chelsea Receive Huge Backlash Over Statement About 'Ukraine Conflict'

The Premier League side put out a statement about what is going on without using the words 'war' or 'Russia' and fans are not happy.

Ryan Sidle

Ryan Sidle

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Chelsea have come in for lots of criticism, after their very short statement about the invasion of Ukraine failed to mention 'Russia.'

Earlier in the week there were calls from British MPs to seize the ownership of the club from Roman Abramovich, as a sanction following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Whilst Abramovich has continued to claim that he has no close ties to Vladimir Putin, and his daughter posted on social media against the war, many fans felt the billionaire should lose the club.

Advert

On Saturday it was announced that he had handed over the 'stewardship and care' of the club to trustees of the club's charitable foundation, however he remains as the owner, questioning how much the action even means.

On Sunday the club then came out with a statement about Ukraine, but it completely missed the mark, not mentioning the words 'war' or 'invasion,' instead just calling it a situation.

"The situation in Ukraine is horrific and devastating. Chelsea FC’s thoughts are with everyone in Ukraine. Everyone at the club is praying for peace," the statement read.

Unsurprisingly, the statement hasn't gone down well at all, with fans calling on the club to actually condemn the actions of Russia.


Labour MP Chris Bryant, who was the first member of parliament to speak out against Abramovich last week, has said that the 55-year-old's actions to hand over the 'stewardship' have not gone far enough.

Posting on Twitter, the MP for Rhondda, Wales, he said, "I’m worried that the British press (with some notable exceptions) have fallen for the Abramovich line on ceding control.

"Unless and until he condemns the criminal invasion of Ukraine I will continue to call for the UK to sanction him and seize/freeze assets."

The Blues are set to face Liverpool in the Carabao Cup on Sunday at Wembley and could probably have done without the distractions that their current situation have provided.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Premier League, Chelsea, Ukraine, Russia

Ryan Sidle
Ryan Sidle

Ryan is a journalist for SPORTbible with over eight years of experience. Passionate about all sports, he mainly covers football and F1 - Daniel Ricciardo once spent an entire interview referring to him as 'Ryan Gosling,' still his proudest moment.

X

@Sidler28

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Man City decide on first two signings under Enzo Maresca as private talks held

    Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Gary O'Neil publicly blasts Chelsea owners over Strasbourg decision
  • Ukraine Officials Issue Statement After Infantino's Comments on Russia Ban
  • Pep Guardiola issues huge update on Man City exit hours before FA Cup final against Chelsea
  • Chelsea manager target holds talks with another Premier League club in move no-one saw coming