Andy Ruiz Jr Publicly Apologises To Eddie Hearn For Beating Anthony Joshua
Andy Ruiz Jr has issued a public apology to Eddie Hearn for smashing Anthony Joshua on June 1.
Ruiz Jr was drafted into the world title bout against Joshua on very short notice after Jarrell Miller was forced out of the main-event because of three failed drug tests.
And the Mexican-American seized the opportunity by stopping Joshua in the seventh round to become the WBA (super), IBF and WBO world heavyweight champion.
He makes the first defence of his titles on December 7 and ahead of their Saudi Arabia showdown, Ruiz Jr has apologised to Hearn for beating Joshua.
"I just needed that right moment and the right chance to prove who Andy Ruiz really is," he told iFLTV.
"So thank you Eddie Hearn for giving me this opportunity and I'm sorry for beating Anthony Joshua."
It appears Ruiz Jr has also taken a swipe at Hearn for dismissing his weight loss ahead of the rematch.
"And that's what we're planning to do on December 7 again, so don't get your hopes up because this chubby kid is training really hard," he added.
The Matchroom boss claimed that Ruiz Jr tricked fans into thinking he has lost some weight.
"I thought he looked quite tubby," Hearn said after watching a clip of Ruiz Jr's open workout in San Diego. "I actually thought he looked heavier than he did previously.
"Make your own mind up. That clip that I saw, which was him training in San Diego, I didn't think that he looked slimmer than he did last camp.
"There was one picture of him leaning forward. The old 'lean forward', tucked back, with a little pout, can make you lose half a stone. Maybe he's done that.
"I thought he looked heavy, I thought he looked a bit slower actually - maybe I'm just used to his speed now. He's a bit tubby, isn't he? I'm a bit tubby."
Will Ruiz Jr defend his world titles against Joshua? Let us know your prediction for the fight.