sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mark Allen Response to Stephen Lee Question Speaks Volumes Amid Snooker Return
Home>Snooker
Published 18:23 30 Sep 2025 GMT+1

Mark Allen Response to Stephen Lee Question Speaks Volumes Amid Snooker Return

Snooker star Stephen Lee was banned for 12 years

Chris Nee

Chris Nee

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Former snooker professional Stephen Lee made a low-key return to the sport in August after serving a 12-year ban.

Lee's ban was the longest issued by the snooker authorities when it was handed down in 2012 and ruled him out of all officially sanctioned events until his 50th birthday.

He played a six-red exhibition against James Wattana in Thailand last month, his first match action on the baize since he was found guilty of match-fixing offences.

The 2003 World Snooker Championship semi-finalist has been in trouble with the law on a couple of occasions since his professional career ended, first for fraudulently selling his cue to a fan and then for teaching snooker in Hong Kong without a work permit.

Advert

While he is no longer banned, Lee remains ineligible to play sanctioned snooker; one of the conditions of his return to the sport proper is the payment of legal costs as ordered by the World Pool, Billiards & Snooker Association (WPBSA).

Stephen Lee pictured during his 2009 World Championship match against Ryan Day (Image: Getty)
Stephen Lee pictured during his 2009 World Championship match against Ryan Day (Image: Getty)

The WPBSA said in August that those costs had not yet been paid.

Four-time world champion John Higgins indicated that he would welcome Lee back into the fold and Ronnie O'Sullivan thinks a comeback could be achievable for a capable player.

"Yeah, I think he could compete," O'Sullivan told SPORTbible. "He's a great cueist. How far he'd get up the rankings, I just don't know. But yeah, I think he's fresh, put it that way."

Mark Allen, who knocked in a 147 maximum break at the Crucible in this year's World Snooker Championship, holds Lee in similar regard.

Mark Allen made a maximum break at the 2025 World Snooker Championship (Image: Getty)
Mark Allen made a maximum break at the 2025 World Snooker Championship (Image: Getty)

Opening his X account up to an impromptu Q&A after his cue wasn't stowed on his flight from Belfast on Wednesday, Allen was asked about the banned 50-year-old.

"Was Stephen Lee's cue action as good as everyone says it was," asked one poster of the Pistol.

"It was VERY good yes," confirmed the 20-year professional from Northern Ireland.

Why was Stephen Lee banned from snooker?

Lee was found guilty of influencing the outcome of seven matches played in 2008 and 2009.

It was ruled that he was working with three different groups when he deliberately lost matches against Ryan Day, Ken Doherty and Marco Fu, and threw the first frames against Stephen Hendry and Mark King.

He was also found to have lost by predetermined scorelines to Neil Robertson and Mark Selby.

Featured Image Credit: Stephen Hendry's Cue Tips / YouTube

Topics: Snooker, Ronnie OSullivan

Chris Nee
Chris Nee

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

24 days ago
26 days ago
  • BBC
    24 days ago

    Shaun Murphy wins frame after pulling off unbelievable snooker escape against Zhao Xintong

    Murphy rescued the frame from an unlikely position in his World Championship quarter-final.

    Snooker
  • BBC / Getty
    24 days ago

    Neil Robertson calls for snooker authorities to ban Ronnie O'Sullivan tool 'everybody hates'

    Robertson made his feelings clear after beating Chris Wakelin 13-7 to reach the quarter-finals of the World Snooker Championship.

    Snooker
  • Getty
    24 days ago

    Ronnie O’Sullivan earns praise for touching act of respect after John Higgins loss

    O'Sullivan fell to an epic 13-12 against Higgins at the Crucible on Monday.

    Snooker
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    World Snooker Tour axe major event as official statement released

    The event was referred to as snooker's 'fourth major' but will cease to exist after just two editions.

    Snooker
  • Stephen Lee Gives Major Update on Snooker Return After Ban
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan says World Seniors snooker star 'should still be on tour' despite retirement
  • John Higgins Has Made His Feelings Clear on Stephen Lee's Return to Snooker
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan Makes Feelings Clear on Stephen Lee Return After 12-Year Ban