sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
WWE shareholder files lawsuit against Vince McMahon after he returns to company
Home>Football
Updated 10:17 12 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 10:11 12 Jan 2023 GMT

WWE shareholder files lawsuit against Vince McMahon after he returns to company

Vince McMahon has returned to WWE to facilitate a sale of the company but a lawsuit has been filed by a shareholder.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A WWE shareholder has filed a lawsuit against Vince McMahon after he returned to the company.

Long-time WWE figurehead McMahon retired in July after investigations were opened into claims he made hush payments to women over a 16-year period amid alleged sexual harassment allegations.

He then handed over the reins to daughter Stephanie and son-in-law Paul 'Triple H' Levesque.

But last week McMahon announced his intentions to return to the board and did indeed reinstate himself as executive chairman, as well as other former co-presidents Michelle Wilson and George Barrios, filling up positions.

Advert

Stephanie, meanwhile, announced her resignation from her role as co-CEO and chairwoman.

The primary purpose of his return is to facilitate a potential sale of the company and its media rights.

There have been reports that the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund are a prospective buyer, with Comcast, Disney, Amazon, and Netflix also touted as potential suitors.

But in what could provide a spanner in the works, the Wrestling Observer reports that shareholder Scott Fellows, on behalf of himself and "others similarly situated" ,has filed a class action lawsuit to against McMahon.

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

It was filed on Tuesday night in Delaware's Chancery Court and claims that the 77-year-old, still the company's major shareholder, violated Delaware Law by taking the lead on major WWE corporate decisions and "adding his cronies to the Board."

Taking issue with McMahon hand picking and appointing his own people in positions, the suit says Fellows is taking action as a result of McMahon's"serial abuses of power".

Fellows alleges "breach of fiduciary duty in line with section 141 of the state's General Corporation Law".

The suit says: "McMahon lacks the power he purported to wield. Section 141(a) of the Delaware General Corporation Law (the “DGCL”) recognizes the inviolability of the board of directors’ power to make significant decisions respecting the business and affairs of the Company. The Board members have an unremitting obligation to discharge their fiduciary duties."

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

Fellows wants the bylaw changes from McMahon to be deemed invalid and to be compensated with cost and fees. Other copycat lawsuits could follow in due course.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy & Bloomberg Law

Topics: Vince McMahon, WWE

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Leaked document shows every word that Vince McMahon banned from WWE
  • WWE writer pitched idea so offensive that Vince McMahon immediately left the room
  • WWE superstar who was fired on his wedding day was 'ghosted' by Vince McMahon after 'handshake agreement' on stunning return
  • Vince McMahon Paid $500,000 Fine After Breaking Rule For John Cena Match

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
10 hours ago
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football