sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Qatar World Cup security refuse journalist entry into stadium for LGBT+ shirt
Home>Football
Updated 18:34 21 Nov 2022 GMTPublished 18:35 21 Nov 2022 GMT

Qatar World Cup security refuse journalist entry into stadium for LGBT+ shirt

The USMNT face Wales on Monday evening.

Daniel Marland

Daniel Marland

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A US reporter has claimed he was denied entry into the USMNT's opening World Cup Group B clash against Wales for wearing a rainbow-themed t-shirt in support of LGBTQ+ rights.

Since being awarded the World Cup in 2010, hosts Qatar have been criticised for their stance on LGBTQ+ rights.

Homosexuality is currently illegal in the country under Islamic State Sharia law.

On Monday, United States-based reporter Grant Wahl attempted to enter the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium wearing a t-shirt with a football on it, surrounded by a rainbow.

Advert

He tweeted that he had been denied entry into the stadium for wearing the t-shirt.

Wahl's message reads: "Just now: Security guard refusing to let me into the stadium for USA-Wales. 'You have to change your shirt. It’s not allowed.'"

Shortly after, Wahl sent a follow-up in which he claimed he was 'detained' for nearly half an hour.

He said: "I’m OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal. Am in the media centre, still wearing my shirt. Was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays."

Earlier on Monday, a host of nations backed down from wearing a 'One Love' armband in support of the LGBTQ+ community.

I’m OK, but that was an unnecessary ordeal. Am in the media center, still wearing my shirt. Was detained for nearly half an hour. Go gays 🌈 https://t.co/S3INBoCz89

— Subscribe to GrantWahl.com (@GrantWahl) November 21, 2022

Players were threatened with bookings if they wore the armbands. BBC Sport presenter Alex Scott received praise for wearing the armband during the station's coverage of England's 6-2 win over Iran.

Scott also claimed it 'would've been easy' to boycott the tournament.

The former Arsenal star said: "I've had conversations about, 'I should be staying at home, I should be boycotting' and I thought long and hard about it. I think that for me personally would have been the easy option.

Scott wearing the armband. (Image
BBC Sport)

"I love my job and when I think about it sitting here and having the harder conversations and it's bigger isn't it? We're talking about migrant workers, we're talking about the LGBT+ community, we're talking about women's rights.

"You think about four years ago, I was thinking about it this morning, I was the first female pundit for the BBC at the World Cup. You think how far we've moved in the last four years.

"Let's hope in the next four years at the world cup we're never having to have those conversations again."

Featured Image Credit: Grant Wahl/Twitter & BBC Sport

Topics: Qatar, Wales, United States

Daniel Marland
Daniel Marland

Daniel is SPORTbible's Senior Social Editor.

X

@DanMarland_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • US Confirms New World Cup Safety Measures Amid ICE Security Concerns
  • FIFA allow one World Cup stadium to break rule at tournament
  • Nation's Fans Will 'Refuse' to Travel to World Cup in US Amid Trump Boycott Talks
  • FIFA Has Banned Three Countries From World Cup For 'Political Reasons'

Choose your content:

4 mins ago
6 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Getty Images
    4 mins ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 mins ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Palmer, Foden, Bellingham and Rogers stats compared and England must put faith in one man

    Thomas Tuchel has only brought two number tens to the World Cup, but did he make the right choice looking at the stats?

    Football