• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
18-year-old Roma star Cristian Volpato rejected multiple offers to play for Australia at the World Cup

Home> Football

Published 15:27 8 Nov 2022 GMT

18-year-old Roma star Cristian Volpato rejected multiple offers to play for Australia at the World Cup

The Australia squad was announced on Tuesday.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Roma’s 18-year-old midfielder Cristian Volpato has rejected multiple offers to represent Australia in the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.

Socceroos boss Graham Arnold named his 26-man squad for the tournament on Tuesday and Volpato’s name was nowhere to be seen.

Arnold later revealed that he wanted to name the Roma youngster in his squad, but Volpato wasn’t too keen.

“I pretty much told him yesterday he was in the 26-man squad,” Arnold said to Fox Sports.

Advert

“He wanted to go away and think about it. He wanted to speak to the people around him that helped guide his career.”

Arnold continued: “And he came back last night and declined the offer to come and play for Australia at the World Cup. That’s his decision at the end of the day.”

The Australia boss was then quizzed on how long he tried to persuade Volpato to join his team. He replied: “Right up until probably 11pm last night.

“It’s not my decision. I spoke to Cristian yesterday three times. Before that, I’d spoken to him on numerous occasions.”

Volpato was born in Sydney, and due to the fact that his parents are Italian, he holds dual citizenship. The midfielder has already represented Italy at Under-20 level.

Due to Italy’s failure to qualify for the World Cup, Australia were hoping to name him in their squad.

As Volpato is yet to make his senior national team debut, he is in the position to choose whether he wants to play for Australia or Italy.

Despite the rejections, Arnold remains positive about Volpato’s future as a Socceroo.

Image
Alamy

He added: “Cristian is a great kid. It’s an extremely difficult decision for the kid to make and he’s got people around him who have given him advice.

“He wants to make this big decision when there are two countries he can play for in Australia and Italy.”

Arnold added: “He made that decision and he declined our opportunity to come and play for Australia at the World Cup. It doesn’t mean that he won’t do that in the future.”

Before moving to Roma, Volpato played for Australian outfits Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers.

The Serie A giants offered Volpato a trial after he was released in Australia, and after a successful trial, he signed a three-year deal with the club.

Image
Alamy

Jose Mourinho gave him his senior debut this season and he has impressed so far this campaign.

Australia are facing a huge task if they want to qualify for the knockout stages. They are in Group D alongside Tunisia, Denmark and defending champions France.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Football World Cup, AS Roma, Australia

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • X
    4 hours ago

    Kylian Mbappe gives explosive interview as he reveals alleged racist comment

    The Real Madrid star has revealed the alleged comment made towards Vinicius Junior during the Champions League match.

    Football
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    4 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    5 hours ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • FIFA In Dispute Over Hosting World Cup Games At Stadium Where England Will Play
  • 18-year-old Roma star Cristian Volpato speaks out after rejecting chance to play for Australia at the World Cup
  • Scotland Rocked as Player Rejects Chance to Play for Them at World Cup
  • Donald Trump Sends Ominous ICE Threat to Five Cities Ahead of World Cup