sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Premier League votes for major change to offside rules with 'new system' to be used
Home>Football>Premier League
Updated 14:35 11 Apr 2024 GMT+1Published 14:09 11 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Premier League votes for major change to offside rules with 'new system' to be used

It is a major development.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The Premier League has decided to make major changes to the offside laws by adopting a new system ahead of next season.

At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting on Thursday, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology (SAOT).

The new system will introduced for the first time in the Premier League next season, with its first use likely coming after one of the Autumn international breaks.

Since the introduction of video assistant referees (VAR) in the Premier League in 2019, there has been growing frustration with how the technology is used to judge offside decisions.

Advert

So far VARs have used still frames of video footage to draw lines and make offside calls, but the limited nature of the technology has compromised the accuracy of some decisions.

The most high profile incident of VAR failing to make a correct offside decision was when a Luis Diaz goal was incorrectly disallowed during Liverpool's defeat to Tottenham earlier this season.

The Premier League says SAOT will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking, and will produce high-quality broadcast graphics to ensure an enhanced in-stadium and broadcast experience for supporters.

It is hoped that SAOT will save around 30 seconds per decision, and bring an end to frustrating incidences of assistant refereed keeping their flags down before flagging for offside once attacks have ended.

Instead, the SAOT will inform assistant referees of the decision through an earpiece, enabling them to flag immediately.

The Semi-Automated system will reduce the risk of human error in terms of drawing the offside lines and make decisions clearer to supporters in the stadium and watching on television.

The Premier League will use the same cameras and software that UEFA uses in the men’s Champions League.

The technology will be different to the system FIFA has used, where a chip inside the match ball provides data.

The English top flight is in talks with several companies about providing the technology the system uses.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Premier League, Football, VAR

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
9 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Premier League receive radical rule change proposal after West Ham's disallowed goal vs Arsenal
  • VAR’s most powerful opponent yet wants Premier League ban
  • PGMOL chief Howard Webb proposes stunning VAR change days before Premier League season
  • FIFA take action days after controversial VAR call in West Ham vs Arsenal with change impacting World Cup