• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Lionel Messi uploads video explaining trip to Saudi Arabia after being suspended by PSG

Home> Football

Updated 17:08 5 May 2023 GMT+1Published 16:40 5 May 2023 GMT+1

Lionel Messi uploads video explaining trip to Saudi Arabia after being suspended by PSG

PSG forward Lionel Messi has released a video after being suspended by PSG for two weeks.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Lionel Messi has apologised to his teammates and Paris Saint-Germain for making an unauthorised trip to Saudi Arabia.

The 35-year-old Argentine has been suspended by PSG for two weeks after going on a personal promotional visit to the Middle East without permission.

It was initially reported that Messi, who serves as a tourism ambassador for Saudi Arabia, had asked the Ligue 1 club for permission to be able to travel to the country having twice postponed it because of team defeats.

But days after being pictured with his family in Riyadh, the former Barcelona forward was handed a suspension that will rule him out of league games against Troyes and Ajaccio.

Advert

On Friday afternoon, Messi uploaded the above video on his official Instagram page to explain what happened.

As translated by Fabrizio Romano, he said: "I thought we were going to have a day off after the game as always. I had this trip organised and I couldn't cancel it. I had already canceled it before."

Messi added: “I apologise to my teammates and I'm waiting for what the club wants to do with me”.

Messi is contractually obligated to visit the Gulf State as part of his role as a Saudi tourism ambassador. This week's trip to Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, was his third trip to the country.

“I am happy to welcome Saudi Tourism Ambassador Lionel Messi and his family on his second vacation in Saudi Arabia," Minister of Tourism Ahmed Al-Khateeb said.

"We are happy to share our authentic Saudi welcome with you all,”

A series of pictures showing Messi and his family in Saudi were published on social media, while Messi posted about the country prior to his scheduled flight.

"Who thought Saudi Arabia has so much green?" he wrote on Instagram. I love to explore its unexpected wonders whenever I can."

In regards to his future, Messi has a huge offer on the table from Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal ahead of the summer transfer window, according to reports.

That's according to Fabrizio Romano, who claims Al Hilal have sent in an official bid worth £350 million (A$660m) a year.

If accepted it would make Messi the highest-paid athlete in the world by some distance, with Cristiano Ronaldo currently holding that mantle.

Ronaldo is said to earn makes £175m (A$330m) annually.


Featured Image Credit: Instagram/leomessi

Topics: Lionel Messi, Paris Saint-Germain, Transfers, Ligue 1

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

23 mins ago
26 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    23 mins ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    26 mins ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    an hour ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • Amazon prime
    2 hours ago

    Benfica vs Real Madrid match suspended as chaos ensues following Vini Jr incident

    The match was immediately called off after Vinicius Jr reported he had been subject to racial abuse.

    Football
  • POLL: Who will be the next first time Ballon d'Or winner?
  • PSG have suspended Lionel Messi for two weeks 'with immediate effect'
  • Lionel Messi has hit a Ligue 1 record only two players have before
  • The strict rules Lionel Messi's wife Antonela Roccuzzo has to follow in Saudi Arabia