Conor McGregor hits back at Floyd Mayweather's rematch claims and insists he's 'not interested'
| Last updated
Conor McGregor has hit back at Floyd Mayweather's claim that the pair are in talks over another money-spinning fight and insists he's "not interested" in a rematch.
Mayweather stopped McGregor back in 2017 to extend his professional record to 50-0.
Neither man has boxed professionally since then, with McGregor resuming his UFC career and Mayweather only fighting in lucrative exhibition bouts.
However, Mayweather has set his sights on a rematch with McGregor and claims that negotiations are ongoing between the two camps over a potential fight.
Speaking ahead of his upcoming exhibition bout against Mikuru Asakura, Mayweather told the Daily Mail: "I want to go out there this weekend and have fun, then I have another exhibition Dubai in November and me and Conor McGregor in 2023.
"We don't know if it's going to be an exhibition of a real fight. But there's been talks of both. I would prefer an exhibition.
"I am not into fights where I am going to take any real punishment.
"So, guys like Conor McGregor and guys that don't really hit hard such as YouTubers or UFC guys, I don't really mind colliding with those kinds of individuals but nothing where I am going to put myself in a position where I am going to harm myself or hurt myself."
However, McGregor has poured cold water on the idea of a second fight against Mayweather.
The Irishman took to Instagram to post a picture from their first meeting, alongside the caption: "Not interested".
He then posted a second image of the fight, tagging the accounts of his various business interests and sports partnerships so that they covered up Mayweather.
McGregor is currently preparing to make his long-awaited return to the UFC.
He has not fought since suffering a broken leg in his trilogy defeat to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 in July, 2021.
The former two-weight champion is expected to make his return to the octagon in early 2023.
Mayweather, meanwhile, faces Asakura in an exhibition bout in Saitama, Japan on Sunday.
While he insists he has no interest in facing Mayweather for a second time, McGregor has previously said he intends to return to boxing once his UFC career is over.
"Boxing is my first love in combat sports. I had such a great time the last time I was out there," McGregor told Sky Sports News in May.
"Obviously, my return will be in the octagon for UFC - that story is far from over, in fact it's just being written, it is just the beginning.
"But, boxing, for sure I will grace the squared circle again in the future."
Featured Image Credit: Alamy & Instagram: TheNotoriousMMA
Topics: Boxing, UFC, Conor McGregor, Floyd Mayweather