Dana White Reacts To Conor McGregor vs Frankie Edgar Rumours
UFC president Dana White has played down rumours of a potential bout between Conor McGregor and Frankie Edgar, claiming it "isn't going to happen" in the future.
The 50-year-old also suggested that McGregor is likely to return to the Octagon next year.
"That Frankie Edgar isn't going to happen," White told The Boston Herald. "Frankie is two weight classes below him. (Edgar) is in a position; he was supposed to fight Aljamain Sterling, and Aljamain fell out and got hurt.
"Frankie's coming to the end of his career, and he could end up getting himself into a title position again. So to take the Conor fight makes no sense.
"I think Conor will fight next year,"
It comes after McGregor appeared to confirm a spectacular comeback fight in December this year, while claiming he'll donate his whole purse to a charitable cause.
The Irish fighter and former UFC lightweight champion Edgar exchanged Tweets on Wednesday saying they're ready to fight one another before the end of the year.
"Happy birthday Frankie, see you in December," he wrote on social media.
Edgar responded by agreeing to meet the former UFC double champion while tagging Dana White.
"Thanks pal, I said yes already it's on you and @danawhite to make it happen," he said
More Like ThisMore Like This
There you go White, make the bout. Give my purse to charity.- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 16, 2019
One for All! @ProperWhiskey
Last month, Conor McGregor's coach John Kavanagh said that 'Notoorious' should avoid a potential bout with Dustin Poirier in favour of fighting Edgar.
The 42-year-old Irish MMA coach told The Mac Life:
"I think it was in the works when Conor was kind of going on that featherweight tear. He's an ex-champion, great fighter. Yeah, if it was me, I would love to see the Frankie Edgar fight this year if possible.
"And then go on another run in 2020."
Do you think White should reconsider and allow McGregor and Edgar to go at it in the Octagon?
Let us know in the comments.