Team Khabib React To UFC 249 Cancellation And Hit Out At UFC Champion's Critics
Khabib Nurmagomedov's Russian manager has hit out at the UFC lightweight champion's critics following the cancellation of UFC 249.
Dana White has pulled the plug on UFC 249 following an executive decision from ESPN/Disney.
And Team Khabib, who bowed out of the main-event last week, has responded to the cancellation through his manager Rizvan Magomedov who took to social media to slam the fighter's detractors.
He posted a picture of the UFC 249 card branded with a red cross, accompanied with the words: "Where do you need to fly now? When you find a flight, don't forget to call Putin," per RT.
Nurmagomedov was attacked on social media after withdrawing from UFC 249 because some people mistakenly believed that he could have got an exception from the Russian government to fly to America.
Tony Ferguson and Conor McGregor both mocked Nurmagomedov for removing himself from the scheduled April 18 show.
More Like ThisMore Like This
The fact of this matter is, both Tony and Khabib where engaged in a game of chicken here towards the fight bell. With Khabib chickening out first. Making it 3-2 in pullouts in Tony's favour. Khab scurried out of the U.S to home, and amid the crisis. Very high risk.
- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 2, 2020
UFC moved on without their lightweight champion by booking Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje, though White was told to shut down the event by ESPN.
UFC President Dana White spoke to Brett Okamoto about #UFC249 no longer taking place on April 18.
(via @bokamotoESPN) pic.twitter.com/VRP5jL3k9J
- ESPN MMA (@espnmma) April 9, 2020
"I told you this whole thing has been a battle since Day 1," White explained to Brett Okamoto.
"We've been fighting non-stop all day and all night since this pandemic started to put on this event on April 18. And today we got a call from the highest level you can go at Disney and the highest level of ESPN.
"One thing that I've said since we started our relationship and partnership with ESPN - and it's been an incredible one, it's been an amazing partnership. ESPN has been very, very good to us, and the powers that be there asked me to stand down and not do this event next Saturday."
All UFC events are on hold indefinitely due to the coronavirus crisis, but fight island is still in play.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read