Khabib Nurmagomedov's father, Abdulmanap, has sadly passed away following a long battle with the coronavirus illness.
Abdulmanap, who was also Khabib's MMA coach, died in a Moscow hospital due to complications of COVID-19, aged 57.
BREAKING: Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, father of UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov, dies from Covid-19 complications aged 57 - reports https://t.co/qllLx0r2sV
- sameera khan (@SameeraKhan) July 3, 2020
Abdulmanap suffered a heart attack after being diagnosed with coronavirus, which required emergency surgery.
He was then twice placed into a medically-induced coma with his condition being reported as "serious but stable."
But it has now been reported that Abdulmanap has tragically passed away.
Chechen Republic leader and friend of the Nurmagomedov family Ramzan Kadyrov reported the news on Friday.
The UFC lightweight champion hasn't fought since September 2019, when he defended his title against Dustin Poirier at UFC 242.
He was supposed to face Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 last April until the global pandemic forced him out of the clash.
The undefeated fighter is slated to take on UFC interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje in September at UFC 253.
However, the devastating loss of his father could postpone the UFC championship bout.
- Conor McGregor wants a rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov, calls him a quitter
- Conor McGregor restarts feud with Khabib with shots at his late father after Makhachev’s UFC 280 title win
- Jake Paul's Outrageous Khabib Nurmagomedov Claim Has Been Exposed By His Trainer
- The Most Devastating MMA Knockout Of The Year Happened In Khabib Nurmagomedov's EFC Promotion