Conor McGregor Announces He Will Face Manny Pacquiao In Boxing Bout
The Irishman, who took on Floyd Mayweather in a money-spinning boxing debut in Las Vegas in August 2017, went on one of his usual Twitter tirades this evening.
After sharing private Instagram messages with UFC president Dana White as they discussed his next moves back in February, the Notorious fighter followed up by announcing he and eight-division world champion Pacquiao will do battle in the Middle East.
He also made sure to throw some shade at both Pacquiao and Mayweather in his follow up tweet.
Anyway all water under the bridge who gives a fook.- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 25, 2020
I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East.
It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight.- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 25, 2020
The 32-year-old's claim comes after he posted footage of him - sporting a clean shaven head - shadow boxing inside a ring in the gym. Many fans are viewing it as a clear hint that McGregor will indeed be boxing again.
Dana White said the UFC are working on "some fun stuff" for Conor McGregor. It looks like McGregor is returning to the boxing ring in the near future... pic.twitter.com/T8iQ3fRIEf- MMA Eejit :flag_ie: (@MMAEejit) September 25, 2020
More Like ThisMore Like This
McGregor has been incredibly vocal about getting back in the boxing ring and has even teased taking on Pacquiao after the Filipino wished him a happy birthday.
Back in January, during an in depth interview with Ariel Helwani ahead of his triumphant UFC return at the hands of Donald 'Cowboy 'Cerrone', 'the Notorious' claimed he had held talks over a match-up with Pacquiao.
"I would be open to other boxing bouts. Manny has been, we're actually close, there's been a sitch, we're actually close to signing Manny," he said.
"There has been talks about the Manny fight. There was an offer made on that."
News of the two superstars potentially locking horns comes after White talked about there being upcoming announcements regarding him dipping back into the boxing market.
"I peeked under the hood a lot there for the last year," the 51-year-old told BT Sport, as per DAZN.
"Looked at different things and I said, 'I don't know man, I don't know if this is fixable.' Funny enough, since the pandemic I've been looking at other options too.
"When it's time, I'll let you know, I'm not ready yet. But [it'll be] in the next couple of weeks."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read