New Poll Reveals Year's Most Shocking Sporting Moments, So Far
Leicester City lifting the Premier League title against all odds has been voted the nation's most surprising moment of an extraordinary year of sport so far, pipping the likes of British golfer Danny Willett winning the Masters and Jemima Sumgong recovering from a fall to win the London Marathon.
Rocket Ronnie O'Sullivan's decision to pass up a 147 break in protest at a competition's prize money and Liverpool's Europa League comeback against Borussia Dortmund also made the list of moments that have left the country speechless. The poll was carried out by Domino's, to mark its latest TV ad, which has already had over one million views on YouTube.
Other memorable moments in a gripping year of sport so far include England winning the Six Nations Grand Slam, Rule the World upsetting the odds to win the Grand National, Ben Stokes' devastating last over in the World T20 Final and the Notorious Conor McGregor tweeting his supposed retirement from the UFC.
I have decided to retire young.- Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 19, 2016
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.
Such is the unpredictability of sport this year, a third of those questioned (30 per cent) believe England will win Euro 2016, a quarter (25 per cent) think they could even beat the Germans should they meet in a penalty shootout.
Commenting on the results of the poll, Louise Butler at Domino's said:
"We're only in May but already there have been so many moments that have made us laugh, cry and be completely lost for words. Our latest TV ad taps into the feeling of being left speechless, and with a big summer of sport ahead we anticipate there will be many more - and if Domino's isn't the cause we'd like to think we can help make that moment in time a bit more special".
The list in full is as follows:
TOP 2016 SPORTING MOMENTS
1. Leicester City win the Premier League having been 5,000-1 outsiders
2. Liverpool come back to beat Borussia Dortmund 4-3
3. Ronnie O'Sullivan passes up a 147 on protest at prize money
4. Danny Willett wins the Masters to become first British winner in 20 years
5. England win the Grand Slam in Paris for the first time since 2013
6. Conor McGregor tweets his decision to retire (then takes it back)
7. Ben Stokes' devastating over in the T20 Final
8. Rule the World upsets the odds to win the Grand National
9. Jemima Sumgong gets back on her feet to win the London Marathon
10. Tyson Fury taunts Wladimir Klitschko with his beer belly ahead of their rematch
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read