Nine Weird And Wonderful Stats And Facts From The Group Stages
The Group Stages threw up something rather interesting results and a very weird couple of weeks of football where it seemed everyone had decided to save scoring goals till the last few minutes. As always it came up with some great stats too.
We all love a good stat or fact to wow our friends with or put out on social media and pretend its our own. So you're in luck because we can provide you with some, when you're doing your pub quiz in a few weeks you can thank us then.
More Like ThisMore Like This
BREAKING: Euro 2020 Draw Announced With England Drawn Against Croatia, Czech Republic And Play Off Winner
- Alvaro Morata has only ever twice lost a game in which he has scored. The second came after he notched the opener against Croatia but eventually went down, whilst the other was in Juventus' 2015 Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.
- That Spanish loss was also the first time they've thrown away a lead to lose in a Euros final game.
- Zoltan Gera is now the second oldest scorer in Euros final history. The Ancient Hungarian found the net aged 37 years and 61 days and lags only behind Austria's Ivica Vastic.
- Turkish whizzkid Emre Mor became the 3rd youngest player to assist a goal at Euros finals. Belgian legend Enzo Scifo tops the list with Wayne Rooney second.
- Gareth Bale is the first player to score two free-kicks in the same finals since German maestro Thomas Hassler managed it in 1992.
- Ukraine's feeble attack failed to score in five successive games across 2012 and 2016. No other side has gone as many games on the bounce without a goal.
- Petr Cech has now conceded more goals than any other player in the history of the Euros. The 21 strikes shipped in by the Czech keeper is now one more than the previous record of 20 'set' by Peter Schmeichel.
- The 28 passes Belgium strung together before scoring against Ireland was the highest amount strung together leading to a goal since records began.
- Germany's 79% possession against Northern Ireland was the highest any one side have had since whichever nerd started recording these things.
What will the rest of the tournament bring?