Newcastle Takeover Group 'Want Jose Mourinho Or Arsene Wenger' To Become Manager
| Last updated
Billionaire Sheik Khaled has reportedly identified Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger as potential suitors for the Newcastle job.
It is understood that current manager Rafael Benitez faces the sack if a takeover happens, according to The Mirror, as current owner Mike Ashley has postponed contract negotiations with The Spaniard over a new deal.
Ashley has instead prioritised takeover discussions with the Abu-Dhabi-based group as Benitez's contract is set to expire on June 30th.
Benitez recently revealed he is "open to new possibilities" in an interview with Italian outlet Calciomercato.it, but when asked about whether he would continue as Newcastle manager, he said the following:
"I'd prefer not to talk about that at the moment. My friends told me several rumours about Serie A interest. I like Italian football, that much is clear, but I don't know as of today what will happen.
"I still watch a lot of Serie A football, I remain in contact with several players I worked with there and hold very good memories of my time in Italy."
In terms of whether Wenger or Mourinho would be up for the job, they were both questioned about their future during bEIN Sports' Champions League final coverage at the weekend:
"I'm very generous and I would love to give you what you want, but I cannot give you what I want because I don't know what I do." said Wenger.
While Mourinho refused to comment on his future, saying:
"We are not here to speak about it. We are here to speak about this and not about us."
Friends Reunited :eyes:- beIN SPORTS (@beINSPORTS) June 1, 2019
Nothing to see here, just Jose Mourinho & Arsene Wenger chatting like old friends IN THE SAME STUDIO! :fire::fire:
Not long now to hear their thoughts on the Champions League final:
:clock8: 20:30 Mecca
:tv: HD1 (English only audio option available)
Unmissable TV :raised_hands: pic.twitter.com/fFktrKoRf6
It doesn't sound like both men are in any hurry to return to management, while it seems Newcastle aren't ready to comment about the future of Rafa Benitez.
Chronicle Live got in touch with the club, but they refused to comment on the situation.
The Bin Zayed Group confirmed last week that discussions with Mike Ashley are underway, but the club have yet to comment:
"In response to the numerous reports in the world media this morning, we would like to comment as follows, we can confirm that representatives of His Highness Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan are in discussions with Mike Ashley and his team, about the proposed acquisition of Newcastle United Football Club." he said in a statement to Chronicle Live.
"We view it as an honor to have the opportunity to build on the strong support, history and tradition of the club.
"We have agreed terms and are working hard to complete the transaction at the earliest opportunity."
BREAKING: The Bin Zayed group say they have submitted proof of funds to Newcastle and are assisting the Premier League with their 'fit and proper persons' test.- Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) May 29, 2019
Thoughts on the potential takeover of Newcastle? Do you think Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger would be the right people to take the Premier League side forward?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments.