Premier League clubs are reportedly 'angry' at the league over the takeover of Newcastle United and have demanded an emergency meeting for next week.
The Saudi Arabian takeover of Newcastle has been in the pipelines for a couple of years but had been turned down previously by the league.
On Wednesday there was talk that it could be back on, after Saudi Arabia and Qatar came to an agreement over the streaming of the latter's beIN Sport football coverage, and on Thursday the deal by the Saudi Public Investment Fund to buy out Mike Ashley was confirmed.
The swiftness of the deal, and the lack of communication that it was being allowed to happen, has angered the other 19 teams in England's top tier.
According to the Guardian, the clubs want a meeting next week to discuss what changed to suddenly allow the deal and why they weren't told about it.
The meeting isn't an attempt to stop the deal, as that is too late, but in order for the clubs to vent their feelings and get to the bottom of the process.
At the last league meeting two weeks ago, the takeover was not on the agenda and just last week a competition appeals tribunal said last week that arbitration proceedings about the matter were due to start in January.
The league’s QC, Adam Lewis, had explained at the CAT that the deal could go through if it was decided that "the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is not a director" of the club.
Obviously since then the PIF has managed to convince the league that isn't the case, despite it being overseen by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
There has been questions by many, especially human rights groups, over the new owners of Newcastle and the potential damage to the league's reputation is thought to be another topic that has angered some clubs.
On the pitch though, a new billionaire is likely to mean inflated transfer and contract prices in the league and undoubtedly this will upset some of the clubs in the Premier League.
The Magpies have already been linked with a whole new squad of players in the past few days, with the club reportedly allowed to spend up to £200 million in January without breaking financial fair play rules.
Another person who is likely just as annoyed by the takeover as Newcastle's rival clubs is current manager Steve Bruce, with the 60-year-old expected to be sacked by the club, potentially before he gets to manage his 1000th match against Tottenham Hotspur next weekend.
Featured Image Credit: PA