| Last updated
Zinedine Zidane wants Real Madrid to make a second attempt to try and bring Liverpool forward Sadio Mane to the Spanish capital in the summer.
Prior to his surprise departure from Los Blancos in the summer, mere days after beating Liverpool to the Champions League for the third time in a row, Zidane was desperate for Real to sign Mane and it looked as though a deal was possible.
However, the club pursued other targets when Zidane took a break and Julen Lopetegui came in as the Frenchman's replacement.
But now that the Frenchman has returned to the Santiago Bernabeu to try and fix the mess Real find themselves in, France Football say he wants to finally secure Mane's services.
Mane's value has skyrocketed since Real first registered interest in him, with the Senegalese international scoring 17 goals in the Premier League and currently sitting joint-second in the race for the Golden Boot.
With teammate Mo Salah struggling of late, Mane has stepped up big time with 11 goals in his last 11 games, including a sensational brace in the Champions League round of 16 second leg victory away at Bayern Munich last week.
The former Southampton man committed his future to the Anfield club by extending his contract until 2023 in November and insisted he is "very happy" on Merseyside.
"Speculation is part of football," he said in an interview with World Soccer Magazine, via Sky Sports.
"You just learn to live with it and not to take it too seriously.
"All I can say is that my only concern is Liverpool. Mo, Bobby... it seemed like everyone was signing contracts and they were saying: 'Hey Sadio, when are you going to sign?' I said to each of them: 'Don't worry, bro, I will sign'.
"And what did I do? I signed... so they are pleased now!
"I'm very happy here and I think people are happy with me too. We want to write our names alongside the many great ones in the story of this club. Hopefully it's the beginning of something special."
Real have already kicked off what promises to be a massive summer overhaul by confirmed the €50 million capture of Porto defender Éder Militão, who has signed a six-year deal.
5 March: Knocked out of the Champions League- Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) March 14, 2019
11 March: Santiago Solari sacked.
11 March: Zinedine Zidane appointed manager.
14 March: Sign Éder Militão for reported fee of €50m.
Real Madrid are not messing around. :eyes: pic.twitter.com/8TuK8lRQ4p
Both Manchester United and Juventus were linked with the 21-year old but Real have stolen march, paid his release clause and sealed the deal.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read