Thiago Alcantara delivered a timely reminder that class is permanent this evening, after the Spaniard struck a delicious volley from outside the box to hand Liverpool a second-half lead against Porto.
The former Bayern Munich man has struggled somewhat since arriving at Anfield in the summer of 2020, with tonight's effort being just his second-ever goal for the club.
However, with Liverpool still being held by their resilient Portuguese opponents, desperately in need of a victory to keep their knockout hopes alive, Thiago stepped up to the plate.
In the 52nd minute, a Liverpool free-kick was headed away by the Porto defence, but it only went as far as the 30-year-old, who beautifully guided the ball into the corner of the net.
Watch it for yourself below.
THAT IS WORLD CLASS! :sparkles:
Just ridiculous from Thiago! :scream::fire:
Wait for the angle from behind... pic.twitter.com/21X1XkxW1W
- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) November 24, 2021
An alternative angle shows just how much backspin Thiago generated on the ball.
This angle of Thiago's goal. Wow. pic.twitter.com/lzrEYNSmdf- CF Comps (@CF_Comps) November 24, 2021
Many fans on social media were simply admiring the cleanness of the strike.
Does it actually bounce? Looks almost like the spin on the ball makes it float upwards :astonished:. Incredible goal.
- David B-W (@Dwarrowdelf) November 24, 2021
The technique on that strike, wow
- Danny ward (@danny_ddw) November 24, 2021
Imagine being able to hit the ball like that.
- (@FrothehBevveh) November 24, 2021
Liverpool would ultimately go on to win the game 2-0, thanks to Mohamed Salah's 16th goal of the season.
The Egyptian darted into the Porto box, before beating the keeper at the near post to seal the win in style.
Liverpool have already qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, winning all five of their group matches so far.
Jurgen Klopp's men will travel to San Siro for the first time in over a decade for their final game in Group B next month, where they will surely hope to make it six wins from six against Milan.
- Liverpool legend ruthlessly names six players Jurgen Klopp should replace this summer
- Liverpool star posts positive injury update in huge boost for Jurgen Klopp
- Liverpool Midfielder Thiago Alcantara Labelled As One Of The Most Overrated Players In Europe
- Liverpool told they are ‘flawed’ when Thiago plays in midfield as Jurgen Klopp faces crisis