The Ten Best Goalscorers In Europe’s Top Five Leagues Have Been Revealed
Opta and Squawka have revealed the ten best goalscorers in Europe's top five leagues this season.
According to the data, Lionel Messi is at the top of the list.
Yes, the 31-year-old Barcelona captain has clocked in 1,437 minutes for his club and scored 18 times.
However, Kylian Mbappé is not that far behind the five-time Ballon d'Or winner.
The Paris Saint-Germain star has scored an impressive 17 times in 1,038 minutes, while Liverpool's Mohamed Salah came in third place after finding the back of the net on 16 occasions in 1,940 minutes.
Meanwhile, Luis Suárez secured a fourth-place finish after he scored 15 times in 1,629 minutes.
Here's where things are a little bit interesting, though.
The final six players are only separated by the minutes that they have played, with all of them tied on 14 goals.
Here are the remaining players to feature on Opta and Squawka's list:
- Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain) -- minutes: 1,093. Goals: 14
- Duván Zapata (Atalanta) -- minutes: 1,409. Goals: 14
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) -- minutes: 1,635. Goals: 14
- Fabio Quagliarella (Sampdoria) -- minutes: 1,638. Goals: 14
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal) -- minutes: 1,828. Goals: 14
- Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) -- minutes: 1,887. Goals: 14
Despite Ronaldo's current position in the standings, the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star had a solid 2018.
The 33-year-old Portuguese footballer became the fifth player to smash in 400 club goals in Europe, while he also ended the calendar year as the top scorer for Madrid and came second for Juventus.
:soccer: Lionel Messi has now scored 18 league goals this season, more than any other player in Europe's top five divisions.
Only Leo Messi has more (18). :wink: pic.twitter.com/sl4LF7XuRi
- FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) 21 January 2019
:goat: Leo #Messi has scored more goals (22) as a substitute in @LaLigaEN than any other player in the 21st century! :top:
:large_blue_circle::red_circle: #ForçaBarça pic.twitter.com/I3t925vFb7
- FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) 20 January 2019
:flag_ar: Lionel Messi has scored 25+ goals for @FCBarcelona for an 11th consecutive season.
:clap: Consistent. pic.twitter.com/W9IWKG2zYG
- SPORF (@Sporf) 21 January 2019
Can anyone stop Lionel Messi winning Golden Shoe No.6? :flushed: pic.twitter.com/fHk6Oev9dn
- Squawka Football (@Squawka) 20 January 2019
Who will win this season's European Golden Shoe?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA