Cristiano Ronaldo has been accused of being a bad captain and leader by fans for his angry reaction to Diogo Jota.
But it wasn't all plain sailing for Ronaldo and Co as the Euro 2016 champions toiled at times during the first-half.
Ronaldo missed a sitter and Jota failed to hit the back of the net with his chance - to the dismay of his captain who reacted furiously on the pitch as he felt he was in a better position to shoot.
Ignore Ronaldo at your peril :rage:#POR ' #ITVFootball ' #Euro2020 pic.twitter.com/2vA50sej57
- ITV Football (@itvfootball) June 15, 2021
And Ronaldo appeared to carry that anger into the break with a video showing the 36-year-old fuming at the Liverpool star.
The clip suggests that the Juventus forward was still livid with Jota for not squaring the ball to him.
The way he looks back at Jota skshdhejjs he's fuming pic.twitter.com/phFNAMs1qH
- :flag_ps: 4 ❦❀ (@nabydeco08) June 15, 2021
Naturally, it got fans talking online with some supporters slamming Ronaldo's reaction.
One tweeted: "Amazing player, brilliant career, not how a captain and leader should act. Just looks like petulance because didn't get what he wanted. Speak to him, coach him, use your experience for good rather than belittling. That's what makes you a true legend."
A second wrote: "Disgusting reaction from CR7 it's not all about him had he taken the shot and missed others would have gone to console him and encourage him it's not all about CR7."
However, some fans also defended Ronaldo's actions.
One wrote: "Jota was moving a little selfish that game I don't blame him."
Another added: "Well the match is not about Jota. It's a team sport. And Jota should have passed. Simple. As soon as he leaves, they score 3."
As for the actual match, Raphael Guerreiro put his team in front in the 84th minute.
Ronaldo then converted a penalty to become the top scorer in men's European Championship history.
He scored another late on to kick off their Euro 2020 campaign with a big win.
They return to action on Saturday when they face Germany.
- A video of Cristiano Ronaldo being a 'leader' after Portugal's win over Ghana shows his worth to the team
- Portugal's bench had a priceless reaction to Diogo Costa incident, there's so much happening
- Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo branded as a 'cheat' after winning penalty against Ghana at the World Cup
- Unseen footage of Cristiano Ronaldo's immediate reaction to Bruno Fernandes being awarded Portugal's opener