| Last updated
Former Barcelona player Matheus Fernandes has slammed the club after they terminated his contract last month.
The Brazilian was signed from Palmeiras in a €10 million move and was even talked about as a potential replacement for Sergio Busquets.
But he played just one game for the Blaugrana - 17 minutes as a substitute in a Champions League group stage game against Dynamo Kyiv in November.
Fernandes did not even receive an official presentation and in June the club confirmed his five-year contract had been rescinded.
It came as a major shock to the 23-year-old, whose dream move to Barca ended up being a nightmare. And after returning to Palmeiras earlier this month, Fernandes has slammed his former employers in an explosive, tell-all interview.
"I didn't know, and when they told me I couldn't believe it," he told Globo Esporte, via Football Espana.
"I was at home, I was going out with my wife and I received a message from the club asking if I had the same email address. I confirmed and then received it.
"I didn't understand it, I sent it to my manager and lawyer. They said it was my dismissal. Time passed and my name came out in the press. No conversation, nothing, they didn't even call to say hello and goodbye.
"I always had the dream as a child to play for Barcelona. When I got there, they didn't treat me as a footballer. I told the director that he didn't treat me like a professional Barcelona player.
"I was a Barcelona player, and I wanted to be treated like one. The other signings had a presentation and I didn't. I was upset. Looking at it from the outside I thought one thing but when I got there they treated me differently."
Matheus Fernandes told O Globo: "I didn't know about it and when I received it (termination of contract), I did not believe it [...] No conversation, nothing, they didn't even call me to say hello and goodbye" #FCB :flag_br:- Reshad Rahman (@ReshadRahman_) July 23, 2021
Fernandes saw his stint at the Nou Camp cut short due to the club's dire financial situation and the need to comply to La Liga's spending limits.
He's now hopeful of kicking on again back at Palmeiras, where he is contracted until 2025.
Fernandes added: "I know my potential. It's not the club that's going to tarnish my career. I'm going to work at Palmeiras, train hard and play hard. There are still many things to happen, I can become a great player at Palmeiras."
Radio Barcelona are reporting the former Botafogo man is planning to sue Barcelona for unfair dismissal.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read