Advert

Wayne Rooney Admits He Made 'Mistake' And Apologises To Family And Derby Over Leaked Pictures

Published 
| Last updated 

Wayne Rooney Admits He Made 'Mistake' And Apologises To Family And Derby Over Leaked Pictures

Wayne Rooney has publicly apologised to his family and Derby County Football Club over leaked images that emerged from a private party.

A number of pictures that surfaced online appeared to show Rooney sleeping in a hotel room while surrounded by a group of women, who were posing beside him.

It is believed a complaint of blackmail was made regarding the images, with Rooney's representatives in the belief that there had been an illicit attempt to entrap him.

Image credit: PA
Image credit: PA
Advert

Cheshire Police confirmed on Tuesday that they would no be taking action against the complaint.

In a statement, they said: "On Monday 26 July Cheshire Constabulary received reports of a possible blackmail relating to a number of images circulating online.

"Officers have spoken to the person involved and are satisfied that no offences have taken place. The person involved has also stated that they do not wish to take the matter any further."

Image credit: PA
Image credit: PA
Advert

Rooney has since explained what happened in his post-match interview after Derby's pre-season clash against Real Betis, before apologising to both his family and the football club.

"I made a mistake," Rooney told Sky Sports News.

"I went to a private party with two of my friends and from me, I'd like to apologise to my family and the club for the images which were going round and I want to move forward on this.

"I'm grateful to Derby County for giving me this opportunity to get this club back to where it belongs, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure I do that.

Advert

"It's dealt with. I'm looking forward to moving forward and preparing for another game on Sunday."

In his post-match interview, Rooney also spoke about a training ground incident involving Derby County midfielder Jason Knight.

It is believed the former Manchester United forward was responsible for injuring his own players in an unfortunate training ground collision.

Advert

The Telegraph report that Rooney and Knight went in for a 50/50 challenge during a session at Derby's training camp at Pennyhill Park, Surrey and the 20-year-old midfielder came out worse in the incident described as an accident.

Knight has since been ruled out for 12 weeks because of an ankle injury.

"With Jason, it was a training ground incident, which happens," Rooney said after the Real Betis game. "I demand that the players train with a lot of intensity.

"Players get injured on the training pitch, unfortunately, Jason did and I'm looking forward to having him back fit and ready for selection.

Advert

"That's football. I demand that we train like we play, and if I put those demands on players, players will get injured."

Image credit: PA
Image credit: PA

It has been a hectic pre-season for The Rams. With just two weeks to go until their Championship opener against Huddersfield, Rooney's side contains just nine registered senior players in their depleted squad, two of whom are goalkeepers.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/PA

Topics: Derby, Wayne Rooney, championship

Jack Kenmare
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Declan Rice Runs All The Way From Inside His Own Half To Score Wonderful Solo Effort

6 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Football

Peter Crouch Says He May Have To Switch From Messi To Ronaldo After Man United Return

3 days ago