Alongside veteran manager Fernando Santos, an animated Ronaldo prowled the touchline, barking out orders to his teammates as they attempted to defy the odds.
23. Ronaldo had to leave the field injured in the first half of the EURO 2016 final.
So he helped coach his team-mates to glory in Paris :trophy:
(via @EURO2020) pic.twitter.com/xbcANoqJAX
- B/R Football (@brfootball) February 5, 2021
Ronaldo basically acting as #por assistant manager alongside Santos on the touchline. pic.twitter.com/cYihI4vSjt
- James Olley (@JamesOlley) July 10, 2016
Even without their talisman, who had scored three goals on route to the final, underdogs Portugal went on to make history and lift their first major tournament title thanks to an extra-time winner from former Swansea striker Eder.
In the aftermath of Portugal's win, Ronaldo gathered his teammates together in the dressing room.
Firstly, he paid tribute to his manager, Fernando Santos, before emotionally speaking about how the Euro triumph surpassed his individual achievements.
"I would like to thank this man right here (Fernando Santos), first of all without him none of this would be possible," Ronaldo says. "Second, to all the players, all the staff, everyone involved in this conquest.
"No one believed in Portugal, but the truth is we made it. All of us, we did it. I am very happy, this is one of the happiest days of my life."
He continued, saying: "Forget the individual trophies, Champions League - this is one of the happiest moments of my life. I have cried three of four times already and my brother had to tell me to calm down.
"And I said: 'Hugo, I can't'. It's true, from the bottom of my heart, I swear on my son's life, I am so very, very, very happy. I could repeat this 100 times. I am so happy.
"This is the trophy that was missing. Thanks to all of you players, all the staff and you again coach. All the faith you had, honestly, it touched me.
"From the bottom of my heart I am truly happy. We deserved this. We are now in the history of Portugal. We are the first team to achieve this."
Minutes after winning EURO 2016, Cristiano Ronaldo gave a speech in the dressing room. :clap:
What a touching speech it was. Incredible. LEADER. :fire:
- The CR7 Timeline. (@TimelineCR7) July 10, 2020
Can Portugal overcome the odds and win another European Championship in the coming weeks?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: Bleacher Report/Twitter
- Cristiano Ronaldo's press conference lasted just 2 minutes and 12 seconds after Portugal win
- When Cristiano Ronaldo Became Portugal Coach During Euro 2016 Final
- Ghana star Osman Bukari breaks silence after copying Cristiano Ronaldo's iconic 'si' celebration in Portugal win
- Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo branded as a 'cheat' after winning penalty against Ghana at the World Cup