Hansi Flick's side, who have won five out of six group stage games, widened the gap at the top of Group J thanks to goals from Serge Gnabry, Antonio Rudiger, Leroy Sane and an 88th minute strike from Timo Werner.
It was a dominant display from the Germans in Reykjavík. In fact, they really should have scored more, with this miss in particular from Chelsea's number 11 arguably being the biggest of the night.
:camera_with_flash: - Timo Werner has an open net in front of him to make it 4-0 but couldn't get it on target. pic.twitter.com/u0u1NwDpky
- :gem: (@TheEuropeanLad) September 8, 2021
Timo Werner's close range miss didn't prevent Germany from sealing a comfortable win v Iceland pic.twitter.com/VPJfuGUsEg
- Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) September 9, 2021
Despite a poor start to the game, Werner managed to find the back of the net late on thanks to a generous Kai Havertz, who let the ball crawl into the net after a tame finish from his Chelsea teammate.
Germany boss Hansi Flick says the 25-year-old is "on the right track" at international level.
"Timo played all three games over 90 minutes, that certainly took a lot of strength," Flick said after the full-time whistle. "He also scored in every game. In this respect, he is on the right track."
Timo Werner for Chelsea:
◉ 155 minutes
◉ 3 games
◉ 0 goals
◉ 0 assists
Timo Werner for Germany:
◉ 270 minutes
◉ 3 games
◉ 3 goals
◉ 1 assist
Poles apart.:sweat_smile: pic.twitter.com/CWzLGJxbwu
- Squawka Football (@Squawka) September 8, 2021
In terms of the result against Iceland, Flick says his side have plenty of work to do.
The former Bayern boss also praised the home side for their battling performance at the Laugardalsvollur Stadium. "I can only congratulate them [Iceland]," he added. "They have speed in their game. If they keep going this way, they will develop well.
"We have taken a step forward. We're not at 100% yet, but I can't wait for that. The guys implement what we imagine."
:flag_am: Armenia 1-1 Liechtenstein :flag_li:
:flag_is: Iceland 0-4 Germany :flag_de:
:flag_mk: North Macedonia 0-0 Romania :flag_ro:
:muscle: The Germans flex their muscles and stretch their lead pic.twitter.com/lL1nEEuxgK
- FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) September 8, 2021
Thoughts on Werner's miss against Iceland?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA/Twitter
- Timo Werner has just scored from 30 yards out, 36 minutes into second RB Leipzig debut
- Timo Werner Aims A Dig At Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea Tactics, It's Like Romelu Lukaku All Over Again
- Thierry Henry expertly breaks down why Timo Werner flopped at Chelsea, he's spot on
- Chelsea flop Timo Werner set to rejoin RB Leipzig on permanent deal