Dimitri Payet and Co were left stunned as Accrington Stanley beat Marseille in a bizarre friendly in Salford.
Accy's faced the nine-time French champions at Salford Red Devils' AJ Bell Stadium, which usually hosts rugby league contests.
Marseille are in town for a training camp at St George's Park and expected a gentle run-out and to bag a few goals against the League One side.
They fielded a strong team including Luiz Gustavo and Valere Germain, not to mention former Premier League stars Payet and Florian Thauvin.
:clipboard: STARTING XI!
We've got the teamsheet for today's friendly :vs: @ASFCofficial.
:tv:@canalplus sport pic.twitter.com/pPVa9kOq6W
- Olympique Marseille (@OM_English) July 11, 2019
Payet started in attack for André Villas-Boas's side but he failed to influence the game with the hosts taking a surprise lead through Sean McConville.
Offrande Zanzala then doubled their lead from the spot in the 37th minute.
Thauvin, who played a season for Newcastle United, reduced the deficit late on but Stanley held on for a memorable win.
So, it appears that Stanley were the cause of Twitter crashing last night.
:wink: We appeared to have crashed Twitter last night, so it only seems right that we remind you just how we did it.
:heart: In case you missed it, #asfc beat @OM_English 2-1 at the @AJBell_Stadium!
:arrow_right: https://t.co/36iBOJU0sX #OurStanley pic.twitter.com/kyaEjuPePY
- Accrington Stanley FC (@ASFCofficial) July 12, 2019
Naturally, Stanley's victory was the talk of social media. Here's some reaction from Twitter:
Accrington Stanley, who are they? I'll just sim this game.
Accrington Stanley 2-1 Marseille
- Chris White:flag_black: (@avfc_cw) July 11, 2019
Accrington Stanley beat Marseille. Twitter breaks. No coincidence surely. :joy:
- Alan Nixon (@reluctantnicko) July 11, 2019
Not everyday u see Accrington Stanley beat Marseille:joy: pic.twitter.com/5hUrpo2HSQ
- TheAlmightyDons:white_circle::black_circle::red_circle: (@MK_DONS_H) July 11, 2019
Accrington Stanley is beating Marseille loooool. Even if it's only a friendly and their reserves it's still funny. pic.twitter.com/i10V0UM2z8
- Max (@MassiveMonthe) July 11, 2019
As if Accrington Stanley vs Marseille is an actual fixture happening today, what a time to be alive
- Ethan (@robinsone_) July 11, 2019
Accrington Stanley, who are they?! A team that beat Marseille, that's who.
- Paris Saint-Germain Star Is 'Going Crazy', Wants To Leave After Only One Season
- Marseille Midfielder Puts Manchester United On Red Alert After Contract Talks Stall
- Kevin De Bruyne Curls Home Stunning Goal In Pre-Season Win, He's The Purest Striker Of A Football
- France star is unsure who the Socceroos are but maintains they respect the side