Mbappé’s Champions League Goalscoring Record Outdoes Ronaldo And Messi’s At The Same Age
Kylian Mbappé's goalscoring record in the Champions League at 20 years old is far more superior to Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi's stats at the same age.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward found the back of the net against Manchester United on Tuesday, equalling Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima's record in Europe's elite competition.
The World Cup-winning Frenchman has scored 14 times in the Champions League so far.
When that's compared with the two five-time Ballon d'Or winners at the age of 20, Messi only had two goals to his name and Ronaldo had not even scored yet in the competition.
It's crazy, right?
Marca also reports that the former Monaco ace has had the best goalscoring stats in the competition for any player at the age of 20.
Thanks to the Spanish newspaper, check out the full list below.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: 0 at 20 / 2 after 24 matches
- Lionel Messi: 2 at 20 / 11 after 24 matches
- Raúl: 2 at 20 / 10 after 24 matches
- Thierry Henry: 2 at 20 / 11 after 24 matches
- Sergio Agüero: 0 at 20 / 7 after 24 matches
- Karim Benzema: 6 at 20 / 10 after 24 matches
- Edinson Cavani: 0 at 20 / 15 after 24 matches
- Ruud van Nistelrooy: 0 at 20 / 18 after 24 matches
- Robert Lewandowski: 0 at 20 / 14 after 24 matches
- Neymar: 0 at 20 / 14 after 24 matches
- Zlatan Ibrahimović: 0 at 20 / 6 after 24 matches
- Andriy Shevchenko: 1 at 20 / 8 after 24 matches
- Filippo Inzaghi: 0 at 20 / 16 after 24 matches
Of course, Mbappé might have had a good start to his goalscoring career, but he has a long way before he catches up to the 34-year-old Portuguese footballer, who is the all-time record scorer in the competition with 121 goals.
The 31-year-old Argentine ace is second with 106, so it's going to be a gruelling mountain for Mbappé to climb if he wants to catch up to two of the greatest players of all time.
Kylian Mbappé has 14 Champions' League goals at 20 years & 1 month old.
At the same age, Cristiano Ronaldo had 0 UCL goals, Lionel Messi had 2. (LP)
- Get French Football News (@GFFN) 13 February 2019
Will Mbappé win a Ballon d'Or in the next five years?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Topics: Football News, Paris Saint-Germain, Sergio Aguero, Football, Lionel Messi, Raul, Karim Benzema, Champions League, Kylian Mbappe, Edinson Cavani, thierry henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima