Kieran Trippier couldn't hold back the tears as he realised England's World Cup dream was over.
The Spurs right-back was one of England's best players throughout the tournament and put the Three Lions ahead in the nation's first World Cup semi-final for 28 years with a stunning free-kick five minutes in against Croatia.
England should have been two or three goals to the good as they dominated the game for an hour.
But Zlatko Dalić's side equalised in the 68th minute through Ivan Perisic and bossed the game from then on, before Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic popped up with the winner in the second half of extra time to send Croatia into their first ever World Cup final.
It was heartbreak for Gareth Southgate's young side and Trippier's emotions spilled out when he was forced off with an injury in extra time and helped away to the bench by England's medical staff.
Kieran Trippier crying has actually broken my heart a little bit :sob::broken_heart: #ENGvCRO
- Maaria :sparkles: (@maariarauf) July 11, 2018
Defining image of #ENG defeat was Kieran Trippier icing his groin in tears on the bench. His goal was England's only shot of the game too
- James Tyler (@JamesTylerESPN) July 11, 2018
Kieran Trippier has been immense this tournament, so horrible to see him being helped off injured and in tears. #England
- • (@JustKayal) July 11, 2018
Kieran trippier in tears has me in tears
- Ďõêłľý (@josh_doel) July 11, 2018
We are all Kieran Trippier pretending we're not crying when in actual fact we are definitely crying
- ' () (@paynotron) July 11, 2018
You couldn't ask for anything more from the group of players. Through their performances and spirit, they gave the nation reason to believe and made us dream.
To everyone who supported us.- England (@England) July 11, 2018
To everyone who believed this time was different.
To everyone who wasn't afraid to dream.
To everyone who knows this is only the beginning.
Thank you. We hope we made you proud. #threelions pic.twitter.com/jH8lYMB2E0
After tonight's result, England now face Belgium on Saturday for the second time this tournament - this time in the not so exciting third-place play-off.
- Marcelo Brozovic broke his own World Cup record, that he originally set vs England in 2018
- Huge VAR controversy at the World Cup as Croatia vs Belgium decision dubbed the 'worst ever'
- Alphonso Davies scores the fastest goal of 2022 World Cup, his journey to this moment is incredible
- Japan's awful penalties sent them crashing out of the World Cup