The Top 25 Free-Kick Takers On FIFA 20 Revealed
Lionel Messi is once again the best free-kick taker in FIFA 20, EA Sports have decided.
The Argentine, who is also the highest-rated player on the game, has been given an incredible 94 free-kick accuracy on the game, which is testament to his supreme dead-ball abilities.
Messi has scored 48 free-kicks from a plethora of angles and distances in his career, with the SPORTbible audience voting him as the greatest set-piece specialist to have ever played the game - pipping the likes of David Beckham, Juninho Pernambucano and Ronaldinho.
' :goat: '@BumperGraham: "I don't think this is the night.... no matter what happens with this free kick."- Eleven Sports (@ElevenSports_UK) April 3, 2019
Then Lionel Messi stepped up. The first player in Europe's top five leagues to score 6+ direct free-kicks every season since 2006/07.
Watch all six from this season :point_down: pic.twitter.com/0Yoh6cibVX
Roberto Carlos, who famously scored that physic-defying free-kick against France in 1998, is in second place with 93 accuracy. The likes of Sebastian Giovinco, Miralem Pjanic, Enis Bardhi, Robert Skov, Hakan Çalhanoğlu, Dani Parejo and James Ward-Prowse all make the top ten.
But in what may come as a huge surprise, Cristiano Ronaldo is nowhere the top 25. In fact, a total of 330 players are better at free-kicks on the game than the the five-time Ballon d'Or winner, who only has 79 free-kick accuracy.
The Portuguese superstar has scored his fair share courtesy of his knuckleball technique over the years but hasn't scored one at club level since December 2017 against Gremio.
Using information from leading FIFA site Futhead, here is the list in full:
1. Lionel Messi - 94 accuracy
2. Roberto Carlos - 93 accuracy
3. Sebastian Giovinco - 92 accuracy
4. Gianfranco Zola - 92 accuracy
5. Miralem Pjanic - 92 accuracy
6. Enis Bardhi - 91 accuracy
7. Robert Skov - 90 accuracy
8. Hakan Çalhanoğlu - 90 accuracy
9. Dani Parejo - 90 accuracy
More Like ThisMore Like This
10. James Ward-Prowse - 89 accuracy
11. Marvin Plattenhardt - 89 accuracy
12. Angel di Maria - 88 accuracy
13. Aleksandar Kolarov - 88 accuracy
14. Memphis Depay - 88 accuracy
15. Paulo Dybala - 88 accuracy
16. Ruslan Malinovskiy - 87 accuracy
17. Anderson Talisca - 87 accuracy
18. Kengo Nakamura - 87 accuracy
19. Lasse Schone - 87 accuracy
20. Bruno Fernandes - 87 accuracy
21. Gareth Bale - 87 accuracy
22. Neymar - 87 accuracy
23. Yasuhito Endo - 86 accuracy
24. James Rodriguez - 86 accuracy
25. Juan Mata - 86 accuracy
While the movement of the camera was key to taking set-pieces on FIFA 19, FIFA 20 comprises of an aiming mechanic - inspired by Messi's dead-ball mastery.
You can perform top spin, side-spin or even a knuckleball free-kick if you fancy channelling your inner Ronaldo.
Explaining the adjustments, Sam Rivera, lead gameplay producer, said: "You're going to have full control of the spin that you apply to the ball and that's going to create your trajectory. You can do side spin, top spin, no spin or a combination of them and that's going to be based on how you swing your right stick.
"You can go around the wall, you can go over the wall, you can do a knuckle-shot - ultimately these systems are more fun and you have more control. You swing the right stick and you see the trajectory being created - that's the cool part."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read