Imagine not being anywhere old enough to drink, drive or vote but being old enough to score in the biggest game in Paraguayan football? In the case of Fernando Ovelar, that is his reality.
The 14-year-old scored his first ever goal in the Paraguayan Clasico as Cerro Porteno drew 2-2 with table-toppers Olimpia.
Ovelar, who is 14 years, 9 months and 29 days old, showed the composure expected of someone double his age to chip the keeper giving 'El Ciclón' an early lead. The youngest scorer in the derby until this point had been held by Sergio Diaz, who was 17 years, one month and 28 days old when he also netted for Cerro Porteno.
14-year-old Fernando Ovelar scored for Cerro Porteño against Olimpia yesterday. He's younger than Peep Show. https://t.co/Nb2PcyoWAT
- Tom Victor (@tomvictor) November 5, 2018
It didn't prove to be enough for Porteno however as Olimpia, who featured Premier League alum Roque Santa Cruz in their squad, managed to peg Porteno back twice for the final score to be 2-2, which maintained Olimpia's seven-point lead over their rivals.
What were you doing aged 14?
Fernando Ovelar has just scored in the biggest club fixture in Paraguay.
More here: https://t.co/BsfeYB45Su pic.twitter.com/in2iQxFAVq
- BBC Sport (@BBCSport) November 5, 2018
14 años, 9 meses y 27 días...
FERNANDO OVELAR :raised_hands:#LaMejorCanteraDelPaís :gem: pic.twitter.com/Z6iwkvNIeX
- Club Cerro Porteño (@CCP1912oficial) November 4, 2018
In a game which also saw both sides have a man sent off and a controversial penalty for Olimpia in stoppage time, Ovelar's accomplishment managed to make the headlines.
#FernandoOvelar That was a stunning Goaaaaaaaal :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
- Human ω̶R̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s (@khawajaatteeq) November 5, 2018
Despite receiving a booking and being subbed off just before the hour mark, Ovelar will always remember his second ever Paraguayan Primera División start.
The next question we'll all be asking is when will Ovelar be available on Football Manager, because we will be hearing his name for many years to come.
Words by Danny Marland
- 55-year-old Japanese player becomes oldest active professional goalscorer in history
- Maximo Carrizo Becomes The Youngest Signing In MLS History
- 13-year-old Christopher Atherton becomes youngest ever player to play first-team game in the United Kingdom
- 17-year-old Rico Lewis becomes Man City's youngest ever Champions League goalscorer, he couldn't believe it