Some fans think Lionel Messi angrily punched Diego Carlos during Sevilla vs. Barcelona on Friday.
Barcelona were held to a goalless draw at Sevilla as Messi produced the game's main talking point in the first half.
The Argentine clashed with Carlos during stoppage time. He appeared to hit out at the Sevilla man who dropped to the ground in dramatic fashion.
No action was taken against the Barcelona captain with supporters on social media questioning the referee's decision to not show him a card.
HOW IS THIS NOT A RED CARD FOR MESSI????
Most protected player ever. Any other player and that's a red.
- 7. (@FutbolMuu) June 19, 2020
"So Messi can punch a guy in the face and get no yellow??" One social media user wrote.
A second tweeted: "Messi could punch someone straight in the face and the ref will just turn the other cheek."
A third added: "How is Messi still playing after that punch?"
Messi blatantly shoves Carlos - a dramatised dive sure, but how has he not gotten at least a yellow!?
- Hasan Karim (@TheHasKarim) June 19, 2020
Just remember you can punch someone in the throat and get no card or assault charge if you are #messi the CEO and owner of #FCBarcelona
- M.Lee (@mikeleeindacut) June 19, 2020
incredible how messi can just punch a player and not see a red :joy:
- vig the magnificent (@upvigilant) June 19, 2020
Messi punch a player and was not given even a yellow card?
- Mr. Matthew:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy: (@MattRaul_LFC) June 19, 2020
Barcelona only extended their lead at the top of La Liga by one point following their draw against Sevilla.
The Catalan club are three points ahead of Real Madrid, who return to action against Real Sociedad on Sunday.
- Barcelona Fans Voted Lionel Messi Goal As Greatest Ever In Club's History
- 'Don't understand football!' - Diego Maradona's son tears into Lionel Messi after Argentina's shock defeat to Saudi Arabia
- Fans fume as Reece James picks between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
- 'Prime' Former Barcelona Player Recalls How Lionel Messi Tormented Him When He Tried To Mark Him For First Time