To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Chelsea Knock Manchester City Out Of The FA Cup

Ryan Sidle

| Last updated 

Chelsea Knock Manchester City Out Of The FA Cup

Featured Image Credit: PA

Chelsea ended Manchester City's attempt to complete an historic quadruple, as the Blues won the FA Cup semi-final 1-0, thanks to Hakim Ziyech's first half goal.

It was Chelsea who dominated the play in the early goings, after Pep Guardiola had made eight changes from the midweek win against Borussia Dortmund.

Ziyech had the ball in the back of the net after just six minutes but the linesman raised his flag as soon as the ball had gone in, after Timo Werner was offside in the build up.

Fernandinho was potentially lucky to stay on the pitch. He may have been reprimanded for a boot to Mason Mount's face, with the England player lying prone on the floor.

The City midfielder once again avoided a yellow card just minutes later as he took out another opposition player. Mike Dean played an advantage but when the ball went dead merely told the Brazilian off.

Ben Chilwell had the best chance of the first half when Reece James' floated cross went over two other Blues' players in the box to find Chilwell at the far post.

The left back had time to take a touch but decided to hit it first time on the volley and could only direct the ball wide of Zack Steffen's post.

Chilwell's anguish after missing his early chance. Image: PA Images
Chilwell's anguish after missing his early chance. Image: PA Images

City got their foothold in the game as the half wore on but it became a game of chess as the teams headed towards half time, with little incident.

Kevin de Bruyne went off with an injury just two minutes into the half and was replaced by Phil Foden, proving the strength in depth on their bench.

It was Thomas Tuchel's side who took the lead on 55 minutes, Mason Mount played a through ball for Werner, who got in behind City's defence.

Steffen came out of his goal to meet the Germany striker who squared it for Ziyech to shoot into an empty net from around the penalty spot.

Thomas Tuchel celebrates the win. Image: PA Images
Thomas Tuchel celebrates the win. Image: PA Images

Ziyech should have doubled the lead four minutes later when Ruben Dias failed to get Chilwell's ball over the top clear. The former Ajax winger found himself one-on-one with stand in City keeper Steffen but shot at the American's feet.

From there, rather inevitably, Guardiola's side started to dominate possession and try to force a breakthrough, as the London side attempted to stay strong.

Werner did have a chance on the break on 77 minutes, the German raced clear of the City defence once again but couldn't get a decent shot away and Steffen saved easily.

Christian Pulisic thought he'd wrapped up the win for Chelsea as he put the ball in the goal in injury time but the offside flag was correctly raised.

Topics: Manchester City, Chelsea, Football, Premier League, FA Cup

Ryan Sidle
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Jesse Marsch absolutely rips into Aston Villa for timewasting tactics after 'snail-paced' game

9 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Erik Ten Hag says Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't brought on vs Man City 'out of respect for his big career'

13 hours ago