To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Leonardo Bonucci has received widespread criticism for his comments over the racial abuse his teammate Moise Kean suffered last night and Borussia Dortmund have got involved on Twitter.
During the match at the Sardegna Arena, the 19-year-old Italian forward was the subject of racist chanting and abuse from Cagliari fans.
Cagliari captain Luca Ceppitelli went over to supporters behind the goal in an attempt to stop the monkey chants but it continued.
It prompted Kean to celebrated directly in front of the Cagliari ultras with his arms outstretched when he scored his side's second goal.
Bonucci, however, was quick to pull Kean away. And his post-match comments on the treatment of his teammate have not gone down well after he said Kean was '50-50' to blame for the vile abuse he received.
It's angered a lot of people and now Dortmund's Twitter account elected to post a picture of their captain Marco Reus rinsing him a few years back, accompanied by a monkey emoji.
Arsenal legend Ian Wright and rapper Stormzy have both given Bonucci a whole lot of grief for his controversial comments, while Raheem Sterling has also weighed in by slamming the Bianconeri centre-back.
After scoring England's fifth against Montenegro in a game where Three Lions players were racially abused last week, the Manchester City forward responded on the pitch in a similar way to Kean, although he cupped his ears, before sending a message on social media:
Sterling, who was also racially abused by a group of Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge earlier this season, took to Instagram to condemn Bonucci's shocking take.
Raheem Sterling's response after Leonardo Bonucci claimed it was "50/50 to blame" when his Juventus team mate Moise Kean was racially abused by oppositions fans and celebrated his goal in front of them.- Superbia Proelia (@SuperbiaProeIia) April 3, 2019
[via @sterling7] pic.twitter.com/s12IXA39Kf
Harry Kane recently said he would be prepared to walk off his team if England players suffered more racist abuse, but Juve boss Max Allegri feels a lifetime ban is it what is needed to those fans chanting racist abuse.
Speaking Sky Sport Italia, he said: "I didn't hear anything from the stands, as I was focused on the game. You need great intelligence to deal with these situations and should not go to provoke people. T
"That, of course, does not mean the idiots in the crowd and the way they reacted should be justified.
"As always in life, there are idiots who do stupid things and ruin it for everyone else. I don't think talking about it all the time helps. I don't think halting play helps, because not everyone in the stadium did that.
"We need to use the cameras, find those who are doing it and punish them. It's very simple, identify them and not one-year ban or two, just give them a lifetime ban.
"We've got the technology, it can be done if the authorities want to. The problem is, they don't really want to."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read