UEFA named Christian Eriksen the 'Man of the Match' for the European Championship clash between Denmark and Finland.
He received urgent medical care and was transported to hospital with the midfielder reportedly asking his teammates to resume the Group B fixture on Saturday.
Unfortunately for the Danes, they were unable to beat Finland who came out on top - winning 1-0 thanks to a second-half header from Joel Pohjanpalo.
Despite the Finns recording a big win in Copenhagen, UEFA handed the 'Man of the Match' award to Eriksen in a classy post-match gesture.
"Football is a beautiful game and Christian plays it beautifully," says UEFA President Aleksander Čeferin.
Tonight's Star of the Match is Christian Eriksen. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Christian. #EURO2020 pic.twitter.com/gJPa7P2nAx
- UEFA EURO 2020 (@EURO2020) June 12, 2021
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin paid tribute to Eriksen in an emotional statement after the player's collapse.
He said: "Moments like this put everything in life into perspective.
"I wish Christian a full and speedy recovery and pray his family has strength and faith.
"At these times, the unity of the football family is so strong and he and his family carry with them the good wishes and prayers of everyone.
"I heard of fans of both teams chanting his name. Football is beautiful and Christian plays it beautifully."
Featured Image Credit: PA
- Christian Eriksen Comes On And Scores With First Touch For Denmark, It Was Written In The Stars
- Christian Eriksen ran the show with stunning display as Denmark shock France
- Christian Eriksen Hit By Coin In Interview After Scoring With First Touch On Emotional Denmark Comeback
- 'I Want To Play' - Christian Eriksen Targets Return For Denmark At World Cup In Qatar