Major League Soccer Names The Best MLS XI For 2018 Season
Major League Soccer has revealed the best XI for the 2018 season.
The football league posted on its official website that goals-per-game average for the season was 3.19, which means that the XI has been chosen to fit an "offensive-minded 3-4-3 formation."
Collectively, the 11 players have scored 123 goals between them this season. According to the MLS, the best XI has scored 53 more goals than Atlanta United, which was the "most productive" attacking side in the season.
Without further ado, here is the lineup for the MLS team.
- Zack Steffen ('keeper, Columbus Crew)
- Chad Marshall (defender, Seattle Sounders)
- Aaron Long (defender, New York Red Bulls)
- Kemar Lawrence (defender, New York Red Bulls)
- Carlos Vela (midfielder, Los Angeles FC)
- Ignacio Piatti (midfielder, Montreal Impact)
- Miguel Almirón (midfielder, Atlanta United)
- Luciano Acosta (midfielder, DC United)
- Wayne Rooney (forward, DC United)
- Josef Martínez (forward, Atlanta United)
- Zlatan Ibrahimović (forward, LA Galaxy)
Yes, former Manchester United stars Rooney and Ibrahimović have made the best XI after their first season in the competition.
For a bonus, here's what the team would look like on FIFA 19 Ultimate Team.
Not a bad team, right?
Two members of the Black-and-Red have been named to @MLS Best XI :clap:
Think you can guess who? #DCU https://t.co/AAFsZ1wZrY
- D.C. United (@dcunited) 11 November 2018
Josef Martinez for Atlanta United in the 2018 MLS season and Play-Offs:
:shirt: 36 games
:soccer: 33 goals
:dart: 5 assists
There's just no stopping him. :fire: pic.twitter.com/oLlDqZkDGX
- Squawka Football (@Squawka) 12 November 2018
He took @MLS by storm in 2018.
Highlights from Carlos Vela's #BestXI year with #LAFC pic.twitter.com/rOOwhCxpyk
- LAFC (@LAFC) 11 November 2018
The MLS Best XI has no place for you, defensive midfielders.
- The Mane Land (@TheManeLand) 11 November 2018
Disagree with the MLS XI?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: MLS/PA