Match Of The Day's Goal Of The Seasons In The Premier League Era Ranked
| Last updated
In 27 seasons of the Premier League there's been some incredible goals scored and every year Match of the Day award their Goal of the Season, so we decided to rank them.
It's not easy ranking goals of the season because literally every single one is a worldie and, while some people love a smashing volley from outside the area others enjoy team goals finished off with finesse.
They're all cracking goals on this list so even if you don't agree with the rankings, just sit back and enjoy some of the most memorable goals in nearly three decades of football and even one or two you may have forgotten about.
1. Ryan Giggs - Manchester United vs Arsenal, FA Cup semi final 1999 - Iconic and brilliant, the match-winner in one of the best games in modern football.
2. Thierry Henry - Arsenal vs Spurs, Premier League 2002 - Henry lights up the north London derby by running through the Spurs defence.
3. Tony Yeboah - Leeds United vs Wimbledon, Premier League 1995 - The touches to bring the ball down, the jinxing in between two defenders and then the finish. Utter perfection.
4. Steven Gerrard - Liverpool vs West Ham, FA Cup final 2006 - An absolute wonder strike from the Liverpool midfielder that saved the cup final and took his side to extra time, all while suffering with cramp.
5. Papiss Cisse - Newcastle United vs Chelsea, Premier League 2012 - Cisse had no right to score a goal this good. Outside of the boot from outside the area, Petr Cech had no chance.
6. Jack Wilshere - Arsenal vs Norwich, Premier League 2013 - If there's a visual definition of the football Arsenal want to play it's this goal. A brilliant team effort, rounded off nicely by Wilshere.
7. Dalian Atkinson - Aston Villa vs Wimbledon, Premier League 1992 - Atkinson's footwork and poise to go through defenders is perfect and then the little dink at the end. The Premier League's first Goal of the Season takes some beating.
8. Dennis Bergkamp - Arsenal vs Newcastle United, Premier League 2002 - Maybe the most difficult goal to decide where to rank. Utter brilliance from the Dutchman, if he indeed meant it, but it's got a bit of fluke about it.
Dennis Bergkamp with *that* goal against Newcastle. Enjoy...#GoalOfTheDay pic.twitter.com/5Ro8BXKqNB
- Premier League (@premierleague) May 5, 2017
9. Wayne Rooney - Manchester United vs Manchester City, Premier League 2011 - The first of three Rooney efforts. Deciding the Manchester derby in this fashion is exactly how any United player would want to do it. Irrelevant that it came off his shin.
Nine years ago today, Wayne Rooney settled the Manchester derby with this incredible strike :fire:
- ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) February 12, 2020
10. Rod Wallace - Leeds United vs Spurs, Premier League 1994 - Wallace slaloms through the Spurs defence before his finish which is unreachable for the keeper.
11. Robin van Persie - Manchester United vs Aston Villa, Premier League 2013 - Van Persie's strike was part of a hat-trick to secure United's 13th and most recent Premier League title. Perfect technique on the volley from an outstanding ball from Rooney.
Rooney + RVP = :heart_eyes::astonished:#GoalOfTheDay pic.twitter.com/jcn6cjAp45
- Premier League (@premierleague) December 10, 2019
12. Dennis Bergkamp - Arsenal vs Leicester City, Premier League 1997 - Another piece of perfect technique that's part of a hat-trick. The Dutchman's third is incredible as he shows off one of the best first touches around. Similar to his World Cup 98 goal against Argentina.
13. Dele Alli - Spurs vs Crystal Palace, Premier League 2016 - Alli makes a mockery of the defender to flick the ball over his head and then finishes it off with a strike into the bottom corner.
:two: days to go! #PLKickOff pic.twitter.com/E2KYqxCdFu
- Premier League (@premierleague) August 9, 2017
14. Paolo Di Canio - West Ham vs Wimbledon, Premier League 2000 - The enigmatic Italian gets on his bike to pull off this brilliant strike on the volley.
Remember this? A volley of sheer brilliance from Paolo Di Canio for @WestHamUtd #PLMoment pic.twitter.com/QMpXwpHtMz
- Premier League (@premierleague) April 6, 2017
15. Wayne Rooney - Manchester United vs Bolton Wanderers, Premier League 2007 - A team goal from the top drawer as United go from back to front very quickly and Rooney finishes it off with a lovely little dink.
A breathtaking counter-attack finished in style by @WayneRooney#GoalOfTheDay @ManUtd pic.twitter.com/5EwXcT14z1
- Premier League (@premierleague) November 12, 2018
16. Shaun Bartlett - Charlton Athletic vs Leicester City, Premier League 2001 - Van Persie's effort is higher up but it wasn't the original as Bartlett shows the way.
Robin van Persie eat your heart out :fork_and_knife::hearts:
What a volley this is from @shaunbart9 #GoalOfTheDay :rocket: pic.twitter.com/mbWmoU0Ned
- Premier League (@premierleague) April 2, 2020
17. Jamie Vardy - Leicester City vs West Brom, Premier League 2018 - On the run, over the shoulder, Vardy shows his usual stone-cold lust for goals with this effort.
18. Glen Johnson - Portsmouth vs Hull City, Premier League 2008 - Who knew Glen Johnson could score like this?! Running in, on the half volley, on his wrong foot. Bloody hell.
19. Trevor Sinclair - QPR vs Barnsley, FA Cup 1997 - It's an overhead kick from the edge of the area, what more do you want? Possibly deserves to be higher up but here we are.
20. Jack Wilshere - Arsenal vs West Brom, Premier League 2015 - The English midfielder's back-to-back Goal of the Season winning effort is a great strike, even if it's not as good as his team goal, mind.
21. Emre Can - Liverpool vs Watford, Premier League 2017 - Scoring brilliant goals is hardly the German midfielder's M.O. but maybe it should be after this overhead kick.
22. Maynor Figueroa - Wigan Athletic vs Stoke City, Premier League 2009 - OK so you can feel hard done by if a free-kick from your own half is only 22nd but there's a bit of luck and the keeper's off his line so I'm marking it down a bit.
Wait... From there?!
Our #GoalOfTheDay from Maynor Figueroa for @LaticsOfficial is quite something...https://t.co/1n3b6cyY4K
- Premier League (@premierleague) August 21, 2016
23. Vincent Kompany - Manchester City vs Leicester City, Premier League 2019 - If it weren't for this goal City might not have been champions. But as good as the captain's strike was Andros Townsend's goal, against City, should have won the award last season.
:rocket: What a hit from @ManCity's Vincent Kompany!#GoalOfTheDay pic.twitter.com/cfvlkQcb5O
- Premier League (@premierleague) November 16, 2019
24. Matt Le Tissier - Southampton vs Blackburn Rovers, Premier League 1994 - Le Tiss with an absolutely brilliant finish into the top corner from long distance after meandering through the defence.
25. Dietmar Hamann - Liverpool vs Portsmouth, Premier League 2004 - It's a really good strike but for some reason the German's volley makes me think: 'was this really the best goal that season?' Maybe it's just the level of goal we're at.
Dietmar Hamann v Portsmouth, 2003/04@DietmarHamannpic.twitter.com/F7BkTMH8SZ
- GoalScorer Challenge (@GoalscorerC) April 1, 2020
26. Emmanuel Adebayor - Arsenal vs Spurs, Premier League 2007 - Adebayor makes and finishes this strike for himself but I'm not completely convinced it was exactly what he was hoping to do.
...and an @E_Adebayor belter! #TOTARS @Arsenal pic.twitter.com/coB00BLuXv
- Premier League (@premierleague) March 2, 2019
27. Wayne Rooney - Manchester United vs Middlesbrough, FA Cup 2005 - A brilliant finish from Rooney no doubt but something about this goal fails to grab me. Perhaps it's that Rooney has so many excellent goals.
#MUFC Wayne Rooney Goal vs Middlesbrough, 2005 pic.twitter.com/bDoOdjfomp
- Marco Red Devil :beginner::flag_ye: (@MarcoRedDevil) January 29, 2016
An incredible collection of goals and it'll be highly unlikely you agree with my order, so can we leave the criticism for another time?!