England have been handed a £26,000 fine by UEFA due to their fans behaviour during their Euro 2020 semi final win over Denmark.
England fans were sent into raptures by Harry Kane's rebound goal on Wednesday night, after Kasper Schmeichel saved Kane's penalty, and again when the full time whistle blew after extra time.
As well as the laser pointer, fans continued their tradition of booing the opposition's national anthem when Denmark were standing for Der er et yndigt land.
The Football Association have been handed a £26,000 fine for the behaviour, with a majority of it to do with the laser pointer.
The official statement from UEFA reads:
"The UEFA Control Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) has announced the following decision:
"Match: UEFA EURO 2020 semi-final match between England and Denmark (2-1), played on 7 July at Wembley Stadium, London
"Charges against the English Football Association:
• Use of laser pointer by its supporters - Article 16(2)(d) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
• Disturbance caused by its supporters during the national anthems - Article 16(2)(g) DR
• Lighting of fireworks by its supporters - Article 16(2)(c) DR
"The CEDB has decided to fine the English Football Association €30,000 for the use of laser pointer, disturbances during the national anthems and setting of fireworks."
The FA aren't likely to care too much about the fine if the players go on and beat Italy in the final on Sunday, but the debate about booing anthems is likely to go on.
Gary Lineker recently hit out at those who boo, saying it was "bloody rude, disrespectful and utterly classless," and pointed out that the Italian's anthem is a 'belter.'
Fellow Gary, Neville, believes though that it's not 'disrespectful' and just a tactic to unsettle the Three Lions opposition.
Either way, don't expect it to stop on Sunday, even though Lineker is right about it being a banger!
Featured Image Credit: ITV/PA
- Harry Kane and other team captains could face further punishment for wearing the One Love armband
- England player ratings vs USA: Harry Kane goes missing while Mason Mount at risk of being dropped
- England Fan Shines Laser Pen On Kasper Schmeichel During Penalty
- Harry Kane spotted wearing £520,000 'rainbow' Rolex watch at World Cup after armband ban