Liverpool Eyeing Shock Move For Ex-Swansea Flop Renato Sanches
Liverpool are reportedly eyeing a shock move for ex-Swansea flop Renato Sanches should Georgino Wijnaldum leave for Barcelona.
Swansea were thought to have pulled off something of a coup when they signed the Portuguese Euro 2016 winner on a season-long loan in 2017/18 from Bayern Munich.
However, he didn't impress during his time in South Wales, failing to score in just 12 appearances as the Swans were relegated from the Premier League.
His time with City was summed up when he passed the ball straight into an advertising hoarding in a defeat to Chelsea.
:sunglasses: Renato Sanches tenía claro que tenía que pasar a los de rojo. :sunglasses:
No te pierdas la reacción de su entrenador...:joy:#Chelsea - #Swanseahttps://t.co/adGXgiSGmv pic.twitter.com/e0KyVvUm1f
- Marcadores (@Marcadores_com) November 30, 2017
The 23-year old moved to Lille in 2019 for a fee believed to be around £25m and has since rediscovered the form that promoted Bayern to sign him from Benfica in 2016.
And, according to French outlet Le10Sport, Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp has identified the midfielder as the ideal replacement if Wijnaldum departs Anfield for Barca.
Lille president Gerard Lopez claimed back in January that the club had turned down a huge £64m offer for Sanches.
Lille currently sit top of Ligue 1. Sanches has made 10 appearances this term and scored once.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Wolves are also said to be keen.
Lille may well have to cash in on Sanches due to the serious financial trouble that French football finds itself in.
The sudden collapse of a billion-dollar television contract has created a serious cash crisis for French clubs as the January transfer window nears.
So far Spanish company Media Pro has missed two TV payments - which have been covered by loans from the French football authorities - and now has reneged on the contract.
That's left the league putting the deal out to tender again. It's unlikely they will get anywhere near the deal agreed last year, which was a 60 per cent increase on the previous one and led to some clubs spending more on player recruitment and wages.
On Wednesday, Lille owner Lopez announced the imminent sale of the club to Merlyn Partners.
"The difficulties related to the Covid and the TV rights contract mean that the time may have come for a change of business model with a new owner," a press release said.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read