Barcelona's First Offer For £100 Million Rated Lautaro Martinez Was Laughably Low
| Last updated
Barcelona's first offer for Inter Milan's Lautaro Martinez was an incredibly low £15 million - despite the forward having a £100 million release clause three months ago.
The Catalan giants are in need of a new forward after allowing Luis Suarez to join La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid.
23-year-old Martinez was said to be the club's top target earlier this summer but Marca have reported any kind of deal is now 'dead.'
It has also been revealed that Barca's initial offer for the Argentine, who scored 14 goals in Serie A last season, was £15 million with add-ons.
Martinez had already agreed personal terms with the club and was 'shocked' by their incredibly low offer.
A move to Spain is now off the table and he may sign a new deal with Antonio Conte's side to bring a definitive end to the saga.
Barcelona have been linked with Lyon forward Memphis Depay, who Ronald Koeman managed at international level, as an alternative.
Suarez's departure earlier this week caused controversy with the Uruguayan breaking down in tears during his farewell press conference.
:movie_camera: - Luis Suárez get's emotional during the start of his farewell press conference. He's clearly very touched by all this. [@FCBW_A7]
- :gem: (@TheEuropeanLad) September 24, 2020
"When the club says it doesn't need you anymore, you have to accept it," the 33-year-old begun per SI.
"But it takes a while, it's difficult. Your family is involved, you've gone through a lot with the club. So it's difficult to accept that you are leaving, but you have to. It's the reality, it's how things are in football.
"This is very hard for me. It wasn't expected, I didn't have anything prepared," he continued. "It's been many years, I've made many friends, that makes me happy.
"When Barcelona told me that I wasn't needed anymore, I received several calls from other clubs.
"I felt that I was still able to play in a club that could compete against Madrid and Barcelona. I'm going to a very competitive team that can achieve a lot."
Lionel Messi criticised the club on Instagram while saying his goodbyes to close friend Suarez.
The six-time Ballon d'Or winner's post opened the proverbial floodgates for ex-Barcelona players to pile on the club.
Neymar and Dani Alves didn't mince their words while Samuel Eto'o also wished Suarez the best of luck.
Featured Image Credit: PA Images
Topics: Football News, Football, Barcelona, Serie A, Transfers, La Liga, Inter, Inter Milan
- Fans convinced the Champions League draw was 'rigged' for Italian teams
- Barcelona's financial problems are seriously hindering them on deadline day
- Liverpool plotting £60m move for Euro 2020 winner who Romelu Lukaku said he'd pick to go to war with
- Barcelona will make 'formal complaint' to UEFA over refereeing decisions against Inter Milan